Eagles Defender Omeruo: Iceland Win Would Be Meaningless If We Lose To ArgentinaPublished: June 24, 2018
Chelsea central defender Kenneth Omeruo says the Super Eagles 2-0 win over Iceland in their second match of the World Cup would be meaningless if they fail to get the needed result against Argentina on Tuesday.
Regardless of the formation that Super Eagles manager, Gernot Rohr wants to employ against the two-time world champions, Omeruo is expected to be one of the first names on the team-sheet as he was unarguably Nigeria's most outstanding defender in their last match in Russia.
And if that comes to pass, it would be his third match against Argentina, having featured at the 2014 World Cup and the friendly in Krasnodar last November.
''We need to work harder, we have to forget this victory. It wouldn't mean anything if we lose the next game,'' Omeruo said in the mixed zone after the match against Iceland.
''We have to fight and work as a team to stop them and hopefully we will get it done.''
Reacting to Nigeria's first victory at the 2018 World Cup, the number 22 said : ''We knew the team, we studied them, we knew the pattern.
''The coach always warned us about the long balls that they will play and we made sure we prepared for it. That was the difference.''
Football News 24/7
- EFL Cup: Iheanacho Nets Winning Penalty; Ndidi Rested; Ibe Strikes; Nnamdi In 18; Tomori Shines; Olosunde Missing
- Visa Hitch Stops Chelsea Loanee Omeruo From La Liga Debut Against Barcelona
- Egwuekwe Pens One-Year Al Nasr Deal After Successful Medical, Rejects Kuwaiti & Azerbaijani Clubs
- Chelsea Product Solanke Declared One Hundred Percent Fit To Face Old Club
- Chelsea Legend Zola Names The Gifted Player That Prevented Moses From Starting Vs Man City
- 'Nigerian Iniesta' Ends Speculation Over Future By Signing New CS Sfaxien Contract
- Super Eagles Star Ahmed Musa Is N0.97M Richer After Winning Saudi PL Player Of The Week
- England Call-Up For Leyton Orient's Marvin Ekpiteta, Whose Twin Brother Had Been Targeted By Nigeria
- Injured Nigerian Striker Ruled Out Of Leicester City's League Cup Match Vs Wolves
- Super Eagles Star Alhassan Ibrahim Named In Liga NOS Team Of The Week After Battle Scar
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football