Mikel Confident Eagles Will Stop Messi From Setting New World Cup Record On TuesdayPublished: June 24, 2018
Super Eagles skipper John Obi Mikel is confident that the three-time African champions will be the third team to stop Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi from scoring at the 2018 World Cup after Iceland and Croatia showed them the way.
Including the Argentinian youth teams, Messi has been directly involved in 6 goals ( 4 goals, 2 assists) Argentina has scored against the Nigerian teams in only five appearances and could become the first player to score at the World Cup as a teenager, in his twenties and in his thirties if he finds the net against the Super Eagles on Tuesday.
Messi, who celebrates his 31st birthday today, first scored at the World Cup in the 2006 edition against Serbia at the age of eighteen, then netted in South Africa 2010 and Brazil 2014 while in his twenties.
''It is always difficult facing Argentina, this game is a do or die game, it is not like the first game of the group or the second game, this is the last game of the group. We have to die on the pitch,'' Mikel told reporters in the mixed zone.
The Nigeria number ten added : ''It's obviously very hard to defend against (Messi). Both teams so far have done really well defending him, we have to see what we can do, how we can make sure we defend against him, not just against him but against the whole team.
''We have to play our game as well and make sure we create chances and score goals.''
The Super Eagles held their final training session at their base camp in Essentuki this morning, they will not train when the arrive in Saint Petersburg later today.
Football News 24/7
- EFL Cup: Iheanacho Nets Winning Penalty; Ndidi Rested; Ibe Strikes; Nnamdi In 18; Tomori Shines; Olosunde Missing
- Visa Hitch Stops Chelsea Loanee Omeruo From La Liga Debut Against Barcelona
- Egwuekwe Pens One-Year Al Nasr Deal After Successful Medical, Rejects Kuwaiti & Azerbaijani Clubs
- Chelsea Product Solanke Declared One Hundred Percent Fit To Face Old Club
- Chelsea Legend Zola Names The Gifted Player That Prevented Moses From Starting Vs Man City
- 'Nigerian Iniesta' Ends Speculation Over Future By Signing New CS Sfaxien Contract
- Super Eagles Star Ahmed Musa Is N0.97M Richer After Winning Saudi PL Player Of The Week
- England Call-Up For Leyton Orient's Marvin Ekpiteta, Whose Twin Brother Had Been Targeted By Nigeria
- Injured Nigerian Striker Ruled Out Of Leicester City's League Cup Match Vs Wolves
- Super Eagles Star Alhassan Ibrahim Named In Liga NOS Team Of The Week After Battle Scar
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football