Argentina Star Mascherano Explains Why He's Grateful To Super Eagles StarsPublished: June 24, 2018
Argentina midfielder Javier Mascherano has explained why he's grateful to the Nigeria National Team ahead of both countries clash at the Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg on Tuesday.
Croatia's 3-0 win left The White and Sky-Blues in crisis and they would have all but been eliminated from the World Cup if Iceland had beaten Nigeria two days ago.
Argentina celebrated Nigeria's win over Iceland and the South Americans can still qualify for the knockout stages with a victory against the Super Eagles and Iceland do not beat Croatia.
''We know about the noise around the team. We try to live with that. But we worry only about things we can control. On Tuesday, we will seek qualification to the next round,'' Mascherano told reporters at Sunday's press conference.
''The result between Nigeria and Iceland was the best that we could have hoped for. That gives you the chance to say 'destiny is giving you another chance.'
''But this is not only about the mood, the team needs to perform better. The performance is what shows you the reality.
''That is why we gathered together, with the idea to work this out. We will try to do our thing with an eye on the other match."
Nigeria and Argentina have met four times in the group stage of previous World Cups, with the South Americans winning by a single goal margin in all the matches.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
Football News 24/7
- EFL Cup: Iheanacho Nets Winning Penalty; Ndidi Rested; Ibe Strikes; Nnamdi In 18; Tomori Shines; Olosunde Missing
- Visa Hitch Stops Chelsea Loanee Omeruo From La Liga Debut Against Barcelona
- Egwuekwe Pens One-Year Al Nasr Deal After Successful Medical, Rejects Kuwaiti & Azerbaijani Clubs
- Chelsea Product Solanke Declared One Hundred Percent Fit To Face Old Club
- Chelsea Legend Zola Names The Gifted Player That Prevented Moses From Starting Vs Man City
- 'Nigerian Iniesta' Ends Speculation Over Future By Signing New CS Sfaxien Contract
- Super Eagles Star Ahmed Musa Is N0.97M Richer After Winning Saudi PL Player Of The Week
- England Call-Up For Leyton Orient's Marvin Ekpiteta, Whose Twin Brother Had Been Targeted By Nigeria
- Injured Nigerian Striker Ruled Out Of Leicester City's League Cup Match Vs Wolves
- Super Eagles Star Alhassan Ibrahim Named In Liga NOS Team Of The Week After Battle Scar
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football