John Ogu Proud To Captain Super Eagles At Last In Novelty Game Vs LiberiaPublished: September 12, 2018
Hapoel Beer Sheva midfielder John Ogu was delighted to have captained the Super Eagles in their exhibition match against Liberia on Tuesday evening.
In November 2017, Ogu was overlooked by manager Gernot Rohr who handed the captain's armband to Brighton defender Leon Balogun for the World Cup qualifier against Algeria despite being the most senior player in the squad, having made his international debut five years ago.
With Kenneth Omeruo, Eddy Onazi, Ahmed Musa and the substantive captain Obi Mikel not available for selection against the Lone Stars, Rohr had no choice but to name Ogu as leader of the Super Eagles for yesterday's game.
Writing on Twitter, Ogu stated : ''I will never forget this day for the rest of my life. Leading my country with such a wonderful talents in a game against Liberia with the president of Liberia and the only African player to win the ballon d or . I feel blessed . 🙏🏼🙏🏼''.
The 30-year-old central midfielder and central defender had won 18 caps for the national team prior to Tuesday evening's game with the Liberia national team.
Ogu went the distance at the Samuel Kanyon Doe Sports Complex in Monrovia.
Football News 24/7
- Official: Ex-Man City Midfielder Nwakali Parts Company With Rakow Czestochowa By Mutual Consent
- Two Players Of Nigerian Descent Withdraw From England U21 Squad
- 'Leon Balogun Was Injured' - South Africa Dazzler Explains Why They Resorted To Long Balls
- Uganda Announce Match Day Squad For Tuesday's Friendly Against Super Eagles, Star Player Okwi Out
- Chelsea Loanee Ola Aina Will Not Train With Super Eagles Monday, Returns To Italy
- Rohr Names Only Three South Africa Players Who Impressed Him In 1-1 Draw Vs Nigeria
- Rohr Teases South Africans : Not Even Half The Stadium Was Full Against Nigeria
- Internationals: Ogbeta Captain; Balogun Scores; Eyoma Impresses; Saka Cameo; Anjorin, Okonkwo Benched
- Super Eagles Camp Update Pre-Uganda : Omeruo, Balogun Excused From Friendly; Aina Doubtful
- Five Talking Points From Nigeria's Shock Defeat To South Africa In AWCON Opener
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football