Aneke Backs Super Eagles Coach Rohr On Player Invitations For AFCONQ Vs Seychelles, FriendliesPublished: December 04, 2018
Former Nigeria Professional Football League top scorer Jude Aneke has backed the decision of Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr to prosecute the last 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Seychelles with his regular players that won the AFCON ticket.
Following Nigeria's qualification for next year's tournament, Nigerian football faithful expected the former Burkina Faso coach to face Seychelles with an entirely new team since it is a dead rubber.
"Maybe (Gernot) Rohr doesn't want to be distracted with new players, because I think he has an idea of the kind of players he wants to use," Aneke who broke Ahmed Musa's goals record in the Nigerian league in November 2011 with 20 strikes told allnigeriasoccer.com Tuesday.
"Most of the players for the upcoming matches will be those that played in the World Cup, he will only inject few new faces," Aneke opined.
"Even though Nigeria has qualified, the coach's programme will begin in this last game against Seychelles so it is just reasonable that he continues with the group that he started with.
"This is not time to scout for too many players. Its not ideal when a competition is close," the former Kaduna United, Warri Wolves, Akwa United, Al Masry of Egypt, and now Ikorodu United striker stressed.
Rohr speaking in the aftermath of his team's qualification to the 2019 AFCON insisted that new and fringe players will only get a look-in in the friendlies proposed for the team to play between March and May 2019.
Football News 24/7
- Rangers Working On Deal To Sign Liverpool Winger Of Nigerian Descent
- Lampard Link to Chelsea : One Player Who Stands to Benefit If Club Legend Replaces Sarri
- Inter Milan Interested In Signing Chelsea-Owned Winger Victor Moses
- U20 World Cup: Why Toronto FC's USA Star Akinola Will Not Face Flying Eagles May 27
- Afelokhai Hopes To Beat Ezenwa, Akpeyi, Uzoho To Super Eagles Number 1 Jersey
- Moses Responds To Question About His Fenerbahce Future Amid Chelsea Transfer Ban
- Iwobi Reveals He Wants Tottenham Hotspur To Lose To Liverpool In Champions League Final
- Nigeria-Eligible Attacker Nominated For Liverpool Player Of The Year - Women's Team
- Five Players Key To Nigeria’s Hopes of Glory at 2019 AFCON
- Highly-Rated Arsenal Defender Olowu Commits Future To Nigeria Over England
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football