Aneke Backs Super Eagles Coach Rohr On Player Invitations For AFCONQ Vs Seychelles, FriendliesPublished: December 04, 2018
Former Nigeria Professional Football League top scorer Jude Aneke has backed the decision of Super Eagles head coach Gernot Rohr to prosecute the last 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Seychelles with his regular players that won the AFCON ticket.
Following Nigeria's qualification for next year's tournament, Nigerian football faithful expected the former Burkina Faso coach to face Seychelles with an entirely new team since it is a dead rubber.
"Maybe (Gernot) Rohr doesn't want to be distracted with new players, because I think he has an idea of the kind of players he wants to use," Aneke who broke Ahmed Musa's goals record in the Nigerian league in November 2011 with 20 strikes told allnigeriasoccer.com Tuesday.
"Most of the players for the upcoming matches will be those that played in the World Cup, he will only inject few new faces," Aneke opined.
"Even though Nigeria has qualified, the coach's programme will begin in this last game against Seychelles so it is just reasonable that he continues with the group that he started with.
"This is not time to scout for too many players. Its not ideal when a competition is close," the former Kaduna United, Warri Wolves, Akwa United, Al Masry of Egypt, and now Ikorodu United striker stressed.
Rohr speaking in the aftermath of his team's qualification to the 2019 AFCON insisted that new and fringe players will only get a look-in in the friendlies proposed for the team to play between March and May 2019.
Football News 24/7
- Snapped : Teenage Nigeria-Eligible Striker Involved In Arsenal Final Workout Pre-Wolves
- Man City's Sodje Takes Season's Tally To Eight League Goals With Brace Vs Sunderland U18s
- Tottenham-Owned Goalkeeper Of Nigerian Descent Gets His First Minutes In Men's Football
- 'Leeds Created Loads Of Chances From It' -Ex-Bournemouth Coach Admits Iwobi Was Targeted
- Osimhen At Risk Of Missing Clash Vs Roma As Napoli Issue Fresh Update
- Barcelona Academy Product Bobby Adekanye Finally Debuts In La Liga
- Super Eagles Hopeful Ejaria Scores, Olise Assists As Reading Return To Winning Ways
- Hoogewerf Scores First Hat-trick For Manchester United Youth Team
- Orlando City's Young Sensation Eligible For Nigeria, USA Targeting National Team Call-Up
- 'We Have To Be A Bit More Nasty' - Adarabioyo Tells Fulham What They Are Missing
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football