Super Falcons Poster Girl Oshoala Named In 100 Best Footballers In The WorldPublished: December 07, 2018
The poster girl of Nigerian football, Asisat Oshoala, has been named in 100 best female footballers in the world for 2018 by the Guardian UK.
The former Arsenal and Liverpool frontwoman was the only Nigerian player that made the cut which was selected by seventy-two judges from 30 countries.
Nigerian sports writer Rachel Ugiagbe, the editor of Ultima Sportsnet, and Nigeria manager Thomas Dennerby were among the experts to have voted.
Current African Women's Footballer of the Year, Oshoala, was named the 86th best female footballer and for the sake of comparison, the Dalian Quanjian star ranked higher than Chelsea's Millie Bright, Bayern Munich's Melanie Behringer, Man City's Tessa Wullaert and PSG's Wang Shuang.
On Oshoala, the newspaper wrote : ''Oshoala’s move to China raised eyebrows but the goals have not stopped coming for the former Liverpool and Arsenal striker.
''Her form was the key factor in Dalian's second successive Chinese Super League win, a hat-trick at Shanghai putting them in control of the title race.
''The Nigerian found the net 10 times overall as her club completed the domestic double. She spent November at the Africa Women Cup of Nations, where another treble in Nigeria’s final group game propelled them to the final four. ''
Compared to the 2017 rating, Oshoala's ranking did not get better as she placed 61st last year.
Pernille Harder (Wolfsburg/Denmark), Sam Kerr (Perth Glory/Australia), Ada Hegerberg (Lyon/Norway) Lucy Bronze (Lyon/England) and Eugénie Le Sommer (Lyon/France) are the top five female footballers in that order.
Football News 24/7
- Nigeria U23 Coach Amapakabo In Touch With German-Born Fortuna Dusseldorf Goalkeeper
- Billing Is Huddersfield's Lowest Earning Player Per Minute Played In Premier League
- Rohr Receives Good News From Saudi Arabia Regarding Availability Of Ahmed Musa For AFCONQ
- 'African Zidane' Mikel Named In Championship Team of The Week
- Ex-West Ham Striker Obinna Training With Potenza Ahead Of Potential Transfer
- Swedish-Based Nigerian Midfielder Ruled Out Of Chelsea Vs Malmo Europa League Clash
- Reading Record Buy Aluko Set To Pen Deal With Chinese Club Beijing Renhe
- Guardiola's Brilliant Response To Nigerian Critics For Not Winning UCL Without Messi & Co
- Odemwingie Reveals 70% Of African Players Believe Juju Men More Important Than Doctors, Nigerian Juju Man Treated Broken Arm
- Jordan Aina, Uwakwe, Anjorin Absent As Chelsea Advance To UYL Last Sixteen
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football