Super Falcons Poster Girl Oshoala Named In 100 Best Footballers In The WorldPublished: December 07, 2018
The poster girl of Nigerian football, Asisat Oshoala, has been named in 100 best female footballers in the world for 2018 by the Guardian UK.
The former Arsenal and Liverpool frontwoman was the only Nigerian player that made the cut which was selected by seventy-two judges from 30 countries.
Nigerian sports writer Rachel Ugiagbe, the editor of Ultima Sportsnet, and Nigeria manager Thomas Dennerby were among the experts to have voted.
Current African Women's Footballer of the Year, Oshoala, was named the 86th best female footballer and for the sake of comparison, the Dalian Quanjian star ranked higher than Chelsea's Millie Bright, Bayern Munich's Melanie Behringer, Man City's Tessa Wullaert and PSG's Wang Shuang.
On Oshoala, the newspaper wrote : ''Oshoala’s move to China raised eyebrows but the goals have not stopped coming for the former Liverpool and Arsenal striker.
''Her form was the key factor in Dalian's second successive Chinese Super League win, a hat-trick at Shanghai putting them in control of the title race.
''The Nigerian found the net 10 times overall as her club completed the domestic double. She spent November at the Africa Women Cup of Nations, where another treble in Nigeria’s final group game propelled them to the final four. ''
Compared to the 2017 rating, Oshoala's ranking did not get better as she placed 61st last year.
Pernille Harder (Wolfsburg/Denmark), Sam Kerr (Perth Glory/Australia), Ada Hegerberg (Lyon/Norway) Lucy Bronze (Lyon/England) and Eugénie Le Sommer (Lyon/France) are the top five female footballers in that order.
Football News 24/7
- Super Eagles Defender Omeruo Still On The Mend, Omitted From Leganes Matchday Squad
- Snapped : Teenage Nigeria-Eligible Striker Involved In Arsenal Final Workout Pre-Wolves
- Man City's Sodje Takes Season's Tally To Eight League Goals With Brace Vs Sunderland U18s
- Tottenham-Owned Goalkeeper Of Nigerian Descent Gets His First Minutes In Men's Football
- 'Leeds Created Loads Of Chances From It' -Ex-Bournemouth Coach Admits Iwobi Was Targeted
- Osimhen At Risk Of Missing Clash Vs Roma As Napoli Issue Fresh Update
- Barcelona Academy Product Bobby Adekanye Finally Debuts In La Liga
- Super Eagles Hopeful Ejaria Scores, Olise Assists As Reading Return To Winning Ways
- Hoogewerf Scores First Hat-trick For Manchester United Youth Team
- Orlando City's Young Sensation Eligible For Nigeria, USA Targeting National Team Call-Up
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football