Teenage Nigeria-Eligible Midfielder Makes Professional Debut For Manchester CityPublished: January 24, 2019
Teenage Nigerian midfielder, Felix Nmecha earned his first team debut for Manchester City in their 1-0 League Cup win over Burton Albion on Wednesday, January 23.
The 18-year-old replaced Oleksander Zinchenko after 67 minutes at the Pirelli Stadium with the score board reading 1-0, and 10-0 on aggregate thanks to the visitors huge win in the first leg.
Thus, he is now among the players of Nigerian descent to feature in the Citizens first team, following in the footsteps Dickson Etuhu, Kelvin Etuhu, Nedum Onuoha, Tosin Adarabioyo, Kelechi Iheanacho, Lukas Nmecha and Tom Dele-Bashiru, the latter two of who got their senior bows under current boss, Pep Guardiola.
Prior to his maiden appearance for the club, he was included in the match day squads for a Champions League group game against Hoffenheim as well as another League Cup clash versus Leicester City in the quarterfinals of this competition.
Shortly after his introduction, he nearly set up another goal in the 68th minute when he lofted a promising cross into the opponent's area but it was well dealt with.
Thanks to that first leg massacre and Sergio Aguero's 28th minute effort here, Manchester City will now brace themselves up for the League Cup final between either of Chelsea or Tottenham.
Photo Credit : mancity.com
- 'He has clearly shown that he is of value' - Ajax coach satisfied with performance of Akpom
- Babayaro's Nigerian record is safe: 16yo midfielder Nwaneri named in Arsenal's matchday squad v Lens
- Official: Nigeria-eligible winger signs new long-term contract with Brentford
- Gianfranco Zola insists Osimhen would be perfect for Real Madrid amid Napoli striker's links with Chelsea
- The truth about Hull City's links with Super Eagles midfielder Fisayo Dele-Bashiru
- Why Super Eagles left-back Jamilu Collins was omitted from Cardiff City's gameday squad v West Brom
- 'Nothing strange' - Peter Rufai expects Super Eagles to correct their flaws ahead of resumption of WCQ
- Richard Olise, once touted as 'Reece James heir', returns to action for Chelsea after more than 21 months out
- APOEL Nicosia chief scout in Lagos for 20-team scouting programme
- Chukwueze finally opens his AC Milan account in defeat against Borussia Dortmund
Football News 24/7
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football