'I Did Not Get A Chance' - Liverpool Loanee Awoniyi Aims Dig At Gent Ahead Of Tonight's Return To Ghelamco ArenaPublished: February 10, 2019
Liverpool loanee Taiwo Awoniyi is poised to make his first return to the Ghelamco Arena in tonight's Belgian First Division match between Gent and Royal Excel Mouscron.
The former Nigeria U23 international was originally expected to spend the entirety of this season at Gent but saw his loan spell cut short due to his lack of playing opportunities.
Awoniyi failed to find the net in his 16 league appearances for Gent before heading to Royal Excel Mouscron, for whom he has scored two goal in his first three games, and the striker has explained that he did not get the playing time he deserved at the East Flanders club.
''I consider this meeting as normal,. The most important thing for me is the team. I'm not obsessed with scoring this Sunday,'' said Awoniyi to Le Soir Mag.
''It's nice to be able to come back to La Gantoise to greet the staff and my former teammates.''
He added : ''On a personal level, my goal is to accumulate playing time to continue my development. I consider goals and assists as a bonus.
''As I repeat myself, the most important thing is the team. I quickly had opportunities to find the way to the nets at Excel. It was not possible in Ghent because I just did not get a chance.''
The 21-year-old Awoniyi scored the game-winning goals against KV Oostende and Genk, handing Royal Excel Mouscron six points in the process.
Football News 24/7
- Ukraine Coach Shevchenko Names West Ham, Man City, Celtic Stars In Squad For Nigeria Friendly
- Hoogewerf Makes Full Debut As Manchester United Suffer First League Loss At All Levels
- Done Deal : Scottish Champions Celtic Sign Talented Nigerian Striker
- New Aston Villa Signing Udanoh Center Of Three-Wag Tug Of War Between Nigeria, England & USA
- Chelsea Fan Peter Psquare Watches Chukwueze Open His Account For The Season In Spain
- Everton Winger Alex Iwobi Names Nigeria Legend As His Childhood Hero
- Nigerian Exports : Villarreal's Chukwueze, Bordeaux's Maja, Wycombe Wanderers' Onyedinma Score For Clubs
- Aston Villa Beat Liverpool, West Ham, Wolves To The Signing Of Promising Center Back
- Celtic, Rangers, West Ham Battling To Sign Nigerian Winger From Chelsea
- Fortuna Düsseldorf's Okoye Battling To Be Fit For Friendly Vs Ukraine After Operation
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football