Kanu Backing Arsenal, Ajax To Beat Napoli, Juventus; Rubbishes Rift With OkochaPublished: March 19, 2019
Former Super Eagles captain and two-time African Footballer of the Year winner in 1996 and 1999, Nwankwo Kanu believes his former clubs, Ajax and Arsenal, will be hard nuts to crack for their UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League quarterfinals opponents, Juventus and Napoli respectively.
Heading into the last eight of both competitions, the Dutch and English sides are not considered by many football faithful as favorites to win their games.
But Kanu sees the possible swinging of the pendulum to the ways of his former clubs.
"If Ajax play like they did against Real Madrid, it won't be easy for Juventus so let's cross our fingers and see what is going to come out from there.
''Ajax were unbelievable against Real Madrid," Kanu who won the UEFA Champions League with Ajax coached by the now retired Louis van Gaal but finished as runners up the following season to Juventus told Brila FM on Tuesday.
Speaking about Arsenal who are in a four horse race for a Champions League spot in the English Premier League, Kanu said:
"We (Arsenal) are fighting for fourth place in the league and if we win the Europa League, great. With due respect to Napoli, Arsenal will give them a strong game."
Papilo also debunked rumours of a misunderstanding with another Super Eagles captain and legend Austin Jay Jay Okocha.
"I don't have a problem with Jay Jay. He's my 'senior brother'. We speak the same language, eat, drink and play together.
"Our families have good relationship and when I say we're brothers, we are more than brothers so people should not peddle such rumours," Kanu, who further revealed that the issue of recovering his stolen medals in Lagos is ongoing, concluded.
Photo Credit: arsenal.com
Football News 24/7
- Chelsea Loanee Victor Moses Ruled Out Of Action For Two Weeks
- Ahmed Musa Ends Goal Drought & Mimics Coutinho's Controversial Goal Celebration Vs Man Utd
- Europa League Wrap : Arsenal's Iwobi, Slavia's Olayinka, Villarreal's Chukwueze Subbed In; Young GK Okonkwo Not In 18
- Arsenal Winger Iwobi Compares Arsene Wenger And Unai Emery
- Two Players Of Nigerian Descent Named In Germany Squad For U17 EURO
- What Everton Are Missing Due To Onyekuru's Work Permit Issue
- Deadline For Submission Of Super Eagles 23-Man AFCON Roster Revealed
- Highly-Rated Arsenal Goalkeeper Okonkwo Open To Representing Nigeria
- Flying Eagles Striker Yahaya Hits Double In Big Win For Sønderjyske
- Rapid Vienna, Toulouse Scouting Golden Eaglets Number 13 At U17 AFCON; Lille, Strasbourg In Tanzania
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football