Tanzania 4 Nigeria 5 : Ubani, Amoo, Olaniyan, Jabaar On Target As AFCON Record Is SetPublished: April 14, 2019
Nigeria's Golden Eaglets opened their CAF U-17 AFCON tournament with a goal-laden 5-4 win over hosts Tanzania at the Dar Es Salam National Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
It was the highest scoring game in U17 AFCON history, surpassing the Seychelles vs Mali, Cameroon vs Ethiopia and Nigeria vs Eritrea matches that produced eight goals in 2001, 2003 and 2007 respectively.
Olatomi Alfred opened the floodgates for Manu Garba's side 20 minutes in after pouncing on a rebound as the Tanzanian defenders tarried to clear their lines.
But the Serengeti Boys were soon back on level terms through Edmund John in the 30th minute.
Wisdom Ubani restored the lead for the Flying Eagles seven minutes later while Akinwumi Amoo got in on the goal scoring act just before half time to give Nigeria a healthy lead to take into the break.
But the competition hosts came back spirited after half time with Kelvin John and Morice Abraham scoring two quick goals to put the scoreboard at 3-3, Abraham dispatching a spot kick after midfielder Mayowa was adjudged to have handled in the area
Tanzanian striker, John added their fourth via a penalty a minute past the hour mark putting them ahead for the first time in the game but Ubani's fine free-kick was well placed to beat opposition goalkeeper, Dominic Pauline.
And Ibrahim Jabaar, on for Olaniyan broke the opponents hearts with a super strike that settled the frenzied encounter, finishing off an assist from full-back Shedrack Tanko.
Nigeria Starting XI : Shaibu, Tanko, Ikenna, Ishaya, Oduku, Amoo, Tijani, Ubani, Olaniyan, Abayomi, Olusegun
Football News 24/7
- Bad Day At The Office For Paderborn's Collins As Dortmund's Sancho Sets New Bundesliga Record
- Newcastle United Interested In Queens Park Rangers' Star Of Nigerian Descent
- Lille Chief Confirms Spanish, English Clubs Have Bid For Barca, Real Madrid, Chelsea-Linked Striker Osimhen
- Fenerbahce Identify Club Brugge's Dennis As Replacement For Tottenham Hotspur Target
- Failed Pursuit Of Bournemouth Star : Super Eagles Coach Shares His Side Of The Story
- Manchester United On Brink Of Extending Ighalo's Loan; Striker Not Signing New Shanghai Shenhua Contract
- Manchester City Interested In Signing Chelsea-Linked Winger With N46B Release Clause
- Rohr Labels Bayern's Zirkzee 'A Fantastic Talent', Admits It Won't Be Easy For Nigeria To Lure Him
- Rohr Provides Update On Futures Of German-Born Nigeria Targets Uduokhai, Bazee,Torunarigha, Akpoguma
- Galatasaray's Onyekuru, Sekidika Given Clean Bill Of Health Ahead Of Resumption Of Super Lig
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football