Tanzania 4 Nigeria 5 : Ubani, Amoo, Olaniyan, Jabaar On Target As AFCON Record Is SetPublished: April 14, 2019
Nigeria's Golden Eaglets opened their CAF U-17 AFCON tournament with a goal-laden 5-4 win over hosts Tanzania at the Dar Es Salam National Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
It was the highest scoring game in U17 AFCON history, surpassing the Seychelles vs Mali, Cameroon vs Ethiopia and Nigeria vs Eritrea matches that produced eight goals in 2001, 2003 and 2007 respectively.
Olatomi Alfred opened the floodgates for Manu Garba's side 20 minutes in after pouncing on a rebound as the Tanzanian defenders tarried to clear their lines.
But the Serengeti Boys were soon back on level terms through Edmund John in the 30th minute.
Wisdom Ubani restored the lead for the Flying Eagles seven minutes later while Akinwumi Amoo got in on the goal scoring act just before half time to give Nigeria a healthy lead to take into the break.
But the competition hosts came back spirited after half time with Kelvin John and Morice Abraham scoring two quick goals to put the scoreboard at 3-3, Abraham dispatching a spot kick after midfielder Mayowa was adjudged to have handled in the area
Tanzanian striker, John added their fourth via a penalty a minute past the hour mark putting them ahead for the first time in the game but Ubani's fine free-kick was well placed to beat opposition goalkeeper, Dominic Pauline.
And Ibrahim Jabaar, on for Olaniyan broke the opponents hearts with a super strike that settled the frenzied encounter, finishing off an assist from full-back Shedrack Tanko.
Nigeria Starting XI : Shaibu, Tanko, Ikenna, Ishaya, Oduku, Amoo, Tijani, Ubani, Olaniyan, Abayomi, Olusegun
Football News 24/7
- Grealish Reveals He Advised Abraham To Turn Down Wolves In January
- Official : Tom Adeyemi Released By Ipswich Town
- La Liga Clubs Also In For Bayern Munich Target Amaechi; German Clubs Keeping Tabs On Saka
- Bournemouth, Crystal Palace Join Southampton In Race For Everton Winger Of Nigerian Descent
- Official : Ex-Arsenal Goalkeeper Idem Negotiating New Deal With Macclesfield Town
- The Flying Eagles Hotel In Katowice Where The Cheapest Room Costs N52,000 But Fully Booked..
- FIFA U20 World Cup : Italian-Born GK Dubbed The 'New Joe Hart' Hopeful Of Good Outing For Flying Eagles
- Former Super Eagles Coach Bonfrere: Nigerians Must Respect Rohr's Choices Of Players For AFCON Duty
- Ex-Liverpool Striker Diouf Tips Egypt; Warns Nigeria, Senegal Of Difficult AFCON
- The Patriotic Mission That Awaits Iwobi in Nigeria's Pursuit Of Arsenal Starlets
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Brazil 2014 World Cup
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football