One-time NFF Target Okenabirhie Scores, Provides Assist As Shrewsbury Thrash NewcastlePublished: October 08, 2019
Former Arsenal youth-teamer Fejiri Okenabirhie put in an impressive performance as Shrewsbury Town thrashed Newcastle United 3-0 in an EFL Trophy clash at Montgomery Waters Meadow on Tuesday night.
The 23-year-old lived up to his billing, scoring the opening goal before providing the assist for the third goal.
Midway through the first half, Okenabirhie controlled a cross from the right flank before firing into the bottom corner.
Oisín McEntee produced an important interception to prevent the Nigerian from causing havoc in the 27th minute and it became 2-0 six minutes later as Jason Cummings scored from close range following a corner.
Ex-Golden Eaglets invitee Daniel Udoh came on to replace Shrewsbury Town's second goalscorer with 17 minutes to play.
In the 88th minute, Dave Edwards handed the home team a 3-0 lead, firing an effort into the roof of the net, assisted by Okenabirhie.
Nigeria Football Federation president Amaju Pinnick held talks with Okenabirhie over committing his international future to Nigeria four years ago.
He has played internationally for England's C team and netted a hat-trick against Wales C in March 2018.
Photo Credit : shrewsburytown.com
Football News 24/7
- Olympiakos-Linked Striker Onyekuru Reveals His Preferred Destination
- Why Manchester United's Fastest Player Is Perfect For Nigeria Youth Teams
- Official : Two Nigerian Youngsters To Depart Norwich City At The End Of June
- Lille Target Mexico Whizkid As Replacement For Chelsea, Arsenal-Linked Osimhen
- 'He Might Go To Celtic' - Scottish Champions Backed To Sign Nigeria-Eligible Winger
- Ex-Tottenham Hotspur Boss Redknapp Reacts To Rumours Linking Him To Super Eagles Job
- 'It Was Very Scary For Me' - Leicester's Ndidi On Stepping Into The Shoes Of Kante
- Iwobi Names One Player Who Can Take Ighalo's Role In Eagles; Reacts To Rohr's New Deal
- Bundesliga Wrap MD 28 : Awoniyi Starts; Ehizibue Subbed Out; Collins, Uduokhai Shine; Torunarigha Booked; Lookman Features
- SC Heerenveen Turn Down Eight Million Euros Bid From Chinese Club For Ejuke
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football