New FIFA Rule : Southampton's Obafemi Can Switch Allegiance WEF 2021; Tomori, Abraham IneligiblePublished: September 19, 2020
In a meeting by video conference on Friday, September 18, the FIFA Congress voted on an amendment relaxing the conditions for dual-eligible players to switch nationality, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.
According to the new rules, players are no longer cap-tied to a country on the basis of playing only one official game for the national association when they were younger.
Players can switch national teams but only if they meet five conditions; playing not more than three games with their first national team; be under the age of 21 during their last match in an official competition; not being fielded for at least three years; have not played in the AFCON or World Cup; holding the nationality of an association they wish to represent prior to their debuts for their current associations.
Chelsea young stars Tammy Abraham and Fikayo Tomori, who were heavily courted by the Nigerian Federation before playing competitively for England, will not benefit from the rule change as the striker has four caps for England while the central defender won his first senior cap roughly one month before his 22nd birthday.
The 20-year-old Southampton striker Michael Obafemi can apply for a change of association with effect from November 19, 2021 provided that he doesn't play three more games for the Republic of Ireland and does not earn an additional cap within the next one year.
Another 20-year-old player of Nigerian descent in Red Bull Salzburg winger Noah Okafor earned his only Switzerland cap to date in June 2019 but can switch association in 2022 if the status quo remains the same.
Photo Credit : fai.ie
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- FIFA Rankings : Nigeria Fall Out Of Top Three Teams In Africa After Loss To Algeria
- Confirmed : Nigeria-Eligible Midfielder Inks New Contract With Aston Villa
- 'Joe Has Missed 10 Weeks' - Rangers Boss Gerrard Admits Aribo Not In Tip-top Condition
- Chelsea Icon Obi Mikel Captains Stoke City In 2-2 Draw With Barnsley
- UCL Wrap MD 1 : Dennis Scores; Onyeka, Sanusi Debut; Ighalo, Okereke, Zirkzee, Nmecha, Musiala Bench
- 'I Know How Ruben Likes To Play' - Aina Delighted To Link Up With Former Chelsea Teammate
- Spartak Moscow Coach Explains Why Chelsea Loanee Moses Was Not In Squad Vs Yenisey
- The Premier League Season Ahead - What To Expect And How Is The Current State Of The League
- Photo Confirmation : Viborg FF Bring In Ex-Nigeria U17 Star Ibrahim Said
- UCL: Super Eagle Onyeka Passes Fitness Test, Named In FCM Matchday Squad Vs Atalanta
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football