UCL: Excellent first half for Super Eagles star in Porto's 2-0 loss to LiverpoolPublished: November 24, 2021
Liverpool maintained their one hundred percent in the group stage of the UEFA Champions League after beating Porto 2-0 at Anfield on matchday five.
Super Eagles left-back Zaidu Sanusi made his fourth start in the group stage and was one of the five Porto outfield players who put in a full shift.
Both teams headed into the dressing room at halftime with the scoreboard still reading goalless but the Reds were fortunate that the visitors did not take the lead on at least three occasions.
Sadio Mane thought he had opened the scoring in the 39th minute but the goal was disallowed with a narrow but correct offside decision.
Sanusi had an excellent performance in the opening forty five minutes, the Super Eagle was able to read the play and blocked several Liverpool attacks.
Seven minutes into the second half, the deadlock was finally broken by Thiago Alcantara, who unleashed a rocket into the bottom corner.
Mohamed Salah continued his extraordinary season in the 70th minute, firing in from fourteen meters after Sanusi had missed the ball.
With five points from five games, Sanusi and his Porto teammates go into matchday six against Atlético de Madrid still with a chance of qualification for the knockout stages.
Photo Credit : uefa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Watford boss reacts to Troost-Ekong's early Christmas present to Maddison and Leicester
- 'Chilwell highly missed' - Chelsea's Nigerian fans react to disappointing draw vs Man Utd
- Aribo reveals exactly what Rangers boss told the midfielders to do in win vs Livingston
- Dennis equals EPL record held by ex-Leeds, Spurs, Chelsea & Arsenal stars; Man United ace
- Super Eagles no. 10 on target in GvB's first league match in charge of Glasgow Rangers
- AFCON 2021 : Another concern for Super Eagles as first choice GK goes off injured vs Ajax
- Samson Tijani on his relationship with Salzburg starlets of Nigerian descent Okafor, Okoh, Adeyemi
- Middlesbrough, Swansea, Bournemouth gunning for Arsenal's Anglo-American-Nigerian whizkid
- 'Back to his best' - Chukwueze praised after scoring against Barcelona
- 'They had a great result vs Man Utd' - Ndidi anticipates tough match against Watford
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football