Glasgow Rangers icon Barry Ferguson says he understands why Southampton are one of the clubs interested in signing Nigeria national teamer Joe Aribo in the summer transfer window.
Allnigeriasoccer.com broke the news three days ago that the Saints have revived their interest in the versatile midfielder but have to fend off competition from Crystal Palace, Nottingham Forest and Fulham to land his services.
Aribo has entered the last twelve months of his contract at Rangers and has made it clear he is not interested in signing a new deal after preliminary talks were held on a contract extension.
The 25-year-old has grown by leaps and bounds since landing at Rangers in 2019 under the tutelage of Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard and Giovanni van Bronckhorst, helping the Light Blues win the Scottish Premiership, Scottish Cup and qualify for the final of the Europa League.
Ferguson has labeled Aribo 'a top level player' and admitted that his sale is inevitable provided Rangers asking price for the player is met.
"I can see why they [Southampton] are interested in him," Ferguson said to Go Radio via Glasgow Live.
"He's grown into a top midfielder with some of his performances. He's a top level player and there's been a number of clubs linked.
"That will be a worry for the Rangers fans but money talks. But if that valuation is met and he doesn't want to commit to Rangers, they might need to do business.
"I would like to think they are trying to get him on a longer term contract."
Aribo has yet to resume pre-season training at Rangers as he was granted an extended vacation due to international commitments with the Super Eagles this summer.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'I'll be able to develop further with Conte' - Italian-Nigerian LB says ahead of move to Spurs
- How to bet on handicaps in football
- West Ham United's Irish-Nigerian striker linked with loan move
- Official : Esperance loan out Super Eagles striker to Ligue Professionnelle 1 champions
- Opinion: Why Chelsea's game against Tottenham is a call for Nigeria's most valuable player
- Super Eagles-eligible midfielder plays his first competitive game since arrival at Chelsea
- Eze instrumental, Olise makes comeback as Liverpool held to draw by Crystal Palace
- Osimhen scores and assists as rampaging Napoli destroy Verona in Serie A opener
- EPL 30th anniversary : Allardyce recalls nostalgic moments with magical ex-Nigeria captain
- Ex-African Footballer of the Year labels Gabriel Jesus a 'massive asset' for Arsenal
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football