Nigeria's Super Falconets in the early hours of Friday (Saturday night in Costa Rica) began their quest for a FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup glory on a winning note as they defeated France 1-0 at the Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica, San José.
Striker Flourish Sabastine was the heroine for Christopher Danjuma's lasses as her 85th minute goal claimed three points for the African powerhouse.
The Falconets started brightly and created a chance to go ahead within the first 10 minutes as striker Sabastine threatened to work her way into the France goal but the French defence swiftly cleared the ball from danger.
The game was temporarily halted after 20 minutes of play due to terrible wind conditions and heavy rainfall.
Both teams were back in action about 30 minutes later but it was the Les Bleuettes that looked hungrier than their Nigerian foes after the resumption.
However with the tempo of the of the match swinging at will, Idoko had a 56th minute snapshot blocked by the France goalkeeper after a good work by Sabastine.
The French threatened to score as they waltzed their way into the Nigerian box but captain Demehin cleared the ball for a corner.
The VAR was required to ascertain if Super Falconets goalkeeper Monle Oyono was fouled before France scored a goal in the six yard box and it was correctly overruled.
Moments after that incident and five minutes before the end of the game,Idoko pounced on a long ball by keeper Oyono and found Sabastine who sliced her effort to the far right corner to continue her scoring streak for the Nigerian U-20 side.
The 17-year-old striker grabbed seven goals during the qualifiers enroute to qualification.
Photo Credit : fifa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Leicester City's Super Eagles midfielder out for 'a few weeks' with hamstring injury
- Nigeria announce friendly with World Cup-bound CONCACAF team
- 18yo Super Eagles-eligible GK promoted to first team training by Crystal Palace boss Vieira
- UEL : Omonia coach hints at Super Eagles goalkeeper not starting against Manchester United
- 'I prefer ugly game and a win' - Boro's match winner Akpom reacts to victory against the Blues
- Out-of-date jerseys and four other observations from Super Falcons' 2-0 loss to Japan
- Japan 2 Nigeria 0 : Super Falcons extend losing streak to five straight matches
- Aris coach runs the rule over Super Eagles midfielder ahead of potential debut
- Former Nigeria striker hails Chelsea defender for superb UCL goal against AC Milan
- UCL wrap : Man City too good for Mukairu's FCK, Jenz starts as Celtic lose, Chelsea's Carney not in squad
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football