Napoli coach reveals one thing missing from Osimhen's game in win against AjaxPublished: October 12, 2022
Speaking at the post-match press conference, Napoli manager Luciano Spalletti pinpointed the one thing he noticed was missing from Victor Osimhen's game during his side's 4-2 win over Ajax Amsterdam in Wednesday evening's clash at the Diego Maradona Stadium.
Napoli extended their club record run to nine successive wins in all competitions after the victory against the Dutch champions and are into the last sixteen of the UEFA Champions League.
A minute after Davy Klaassen halved the deficit with a header after he was found by Calvin Bassey, Spalletti's response was to draft in Osimhen as a replacement for Giacomo Raspadori.
The Nigeria international hadn't played since suffering a thigh injury in the first half of the win against Liverpool exactly five weeks ago.
In the final minute of normal time, Osimhen made a goalscoring return in his comeback game, picking the pocket of Daley Blind and with the goalkeeper leaving the goal unguarded , he had the simple task of rolling the ball into an empty net but was cautioned for his celebration.
Spalletti believes that his number 9 did not help the team defensively when they were without the ball.
In quotes relayed by Corriere dello Sport, Spalletti said on Osimhen's performance : "With Victor's entry we dribbled less than when Raspadori was there, but it was necessary.
"Osimhen is a bit of a big head, he went offside twice and didn't help the team in the non-possession phase, but probably because he does not have the right condition yet ."
Napoli have qualified for the knockout rounds of the Champions League with two games to spare for the first time in their history, scoring seventeen goals and conceded four.
Photo Credit : uefa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Watch: 2023 Super Eagles invitee Gift Orban sent off for the first time in his pro career
- Sheffield Utd's Nigerian defender watches on from the bench as Newcastle make PL history
- 'Should have scored at least 25 goals' - Bayer star Boniface reacts after breaking 29yo Bundesliga record
- 'Ended up as the dominant player' - Tottenham coach has his say on duel between Udogie and Saka
- Super Eagles watch: Boniface matches Haaland's feat, Dessers nets winner for Rangers, Lookman back to form
- 'Just needs to calm down' - Pundit reckons Tottenham LB Udogie had a shaky first half performance v Arsenal
- 'Some even compare him to Napoli star Osimhen' - Danish media hails Arsenal U18 hat-trick hero Obi
- 'Imagine him alongside Caicedo' - Pundit wants Ugochukwu to partner Chelsea's history-making midfielder
- Tottenham legend Harry Kane puts Boniface in his place after historic display for Bayern Munich
- 'He is going to sign an important contract' - Fabrizio Romano on the future of Arsenal super kid Nwaneri
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football