Super Falcons-eligible midfielder helps Chelsea beat Man Utd in WSL Academy Cup FinalPublished: April 24, 2023
A day after she was omitted from the matchday squad for the UEFA Women's Champions League semifinal showdown between Chelsea and Barcelona at Stamford Bridge, England youth international of Nigerian descent AshantI Akpan helped the Young Blues pick up silverware.
The Warsaw native was named in the starting lineup as Chelsea defeated Manchester United in a five-goal thriller to win the WSL Academy League Cup Final.
A midfielder by trade, Akpan went the distance for Chelsea U21s in Sunday's showpiece held at Loughborough University, United Kingdom.
The Red Devils opened the scoring through Isabella Reidford in the 24th minute but six minutes later it was all square again as Claypole restored parity.
The Blues went into the break with a two-goal advantage courtesy of two quickfire goals from Priest and Blades.
The next goal of the game did not come until the 90th minute when Ashton slotted home the rebound after a shot struck the post, but it was too late for Manchester United to find an equalizer.
Akpan has received two call-ups to Chelsea's first team, against Real Madrid in the Champions League and Reading in the Women's FA Cup.
The 17-year-old made her senior debut when she replaced Sophie Ingle in the 64th minute against the Royals.
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- PSG determined to bring back to Ligue 1 at least one between Osimhen and Man City midfielder
- Premier League new boys Luton Town considering transfer swoop for Nigerian striker
- FC Basel show the exit door to youth team captain Uruejoma
- Gent goal machine Gift Orban is most valuable player in Belgium, Boniface joint-seventh
- Opinion: Why Super Eagles coach Peseiro dropped Moffi from AFCONQ squad
- Tottenham join Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City in race for Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Confirmed: Most expensive African player in history returns to Arsenal
- Eight things to note on Super Eagles 23-man roster for AFCONQ v Sierra Leone
- Nigeria squad announcement: Arsenal, Man City, Spurs youth products called up for AFCONQ
- L'Equipe indicates Super Eagles vice-captain is surplus to requirements at Nantes
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football