Super Falcons-eligible midfielder helps Chelsea beat Man Utd in WSL Academy Cup FinalPublished: April 24, 2023
A day after she was omitted from the matchday squad for the UEFA Women's Champions League semifinal showdown between Chelsea and Barcelona at Stamford Bridge, England youth international of Nigerian descent AshantI Akpan helped the Young Blues pick up silverware.
The Warsaw native was named in the starting lineup as Chelsea defeated Manchester United in a five-goal thriller to win the WSL Academy League Cup Final.
A midfielder by trade, Akpan went the distance for Chelsea U21s in Sunday's showpiece held at Loughborough University, United Kingdom.
The Red Devils opened the scoring through Isabella Reidford in the 24th minute but six minutes later it was all square again as Claypole restored parity.
The Blues went into the break with a two-goal advantage courtesy of two quickfire goals from Priest and Blades.
The next goal of the game did not come until the 90th minute when Ashton slotted home the rebound after a shot struck the post, but it was too late for Manchester United to find an equalizer.
Akpan has received two call-ups to Chelsea's first team, against Real Madrid in the Champions League and Reading in the Women's FA Cup.
The 17-year-old made her senior debut when she replaced Sophie Ingle in the 64th minute against the Royals.
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Victor Osimhen alternative: Bayer Leverkusen to demand at least N70b from Chelsea for Super Eagles striker
- Who is Gabrielle Onguene? The free-scoring Cameroon striker that can pose a threat to Super Falcons
- Paris 2024 Olympics qualifiers: Keep an eye on these three Super Falcons players against Cameroon
- Justin Njinmah: Werder Bremen's exciting forward to choose between Nigeria and Germany
- Battle for La Liga U23 POTM: Omorodion faces competition from Man Utd loanee, Barca and Real Madrid stars
- Age debate reignited: Flying Eagles coach Bosso justifies selection of academy boys over NPFL stars
- South Africa GK Williams opens up on what he told Omeruo, Aina, Ekong, Iheanacho before taking spot-kicks
- Porto team news: The likely player to replace Zaidu in starting lineup against Arsenal
- Onyeka credits AFCON for boosting his fitness; shares what Brentford boss told him pre-Man City
- 'Difficult to stop' - Barcelona coach Xavi highlights Osimhen as one of the key players to watch in CL showdown
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football