Osimhen becomes first African to win the Paolo Rossi award, receives best striker prizePublished: June 04, 2023
Victor Osimhen ended the season with a bang as he scored his 26th league goal in Napoli's 2-0 win over Sampdoria on the final day of the season.
Osimhen won a penalty in the 62nd minute after he was brought down by Nicola Murru and he stepped up to convert the spot kick to give the home side the lead.
He was replaced by Giovanni Simeone in the 77th minute who would go on to score the second goal in the 85th minute
The Super Eagles forward become the first Nigerian and African to win the Paolo Rossi Award which is awarded by the Italian Footballers' Association (AIC) to the highest goalscorer of each season in Italy's Serie A.
It has been a great season of individual and team success for the lanky forward.
He was named the best striker in the Serie A on Friday and was presented with the award before the game against Sampdoria
The 24-year-old also helped Napoli scoop the Scudetto for the first time in 33 years, thereby becoming the first Napoli player to win the league and the top scorer award in the same season.
He broke Samuel Eto'o's record of most goals scored by an African player in a single season in the Seria A and George Weah's record of most goals scored by an African in Serie A history.
The former Lille forward ends the season with 31 goals in all competitions for Napoli.
While it remains to be seen whether he will stay in Naples beyond this season, there is no doubt that he will go down as one of the best African players to have played in the Serie A.
Photo Credit: legaseriea.it
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Waldrum cites Chelsea v Liverpool as he discusses Super Falcons' showdown with clinical Bayana Bayana side
- Deborah Abiodun reacts: Super Falcons to face Bayana Bayana in final phase of Paris 2024 Olympic qualifiers
- Three uncapped teenagers who could break into Super Eagles squad before 2026 World Cup
- Back in the groove: Rangers striker Cyriel Dessers named Scottish Premiership Player of the Week
- Race for Victor Osimhen: Chelsea concerned about missing out on African POTY
- Kickoff to profit mastering football betting with Tedbet
- 'Didn't give Rashford a kick' - PL all-time top scorer Shearer hails Bassey for pocketing Man Utd striker
- Fulham midfielder Iwobi named in PL TOTW alongside Arsenal and Man City stars
- Who is Sylvester Jasper? The Fulham product observed by Peseiro; insists he's good enough for Super Eagles
- Medical update: Porto's Super Eagles LB Zaidu operated on by Cristiano Ronaldo's most trusted doctor
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football