Opinion: The Arsenal transfer target Leicester City star Ndidi should replace at West HamPublished: June 08, 2023
Super Eagles midfielder Wilfred Ndidi only a few years ago was considered by many as arguably the best or the most in-form African defensive midfielder.
Then, his game was consistently compared with that of Arsenal and Ghana star Thomas Partey.
Partey was a player of Atletico Madrid - from the red half of Madrid that always posed as a threat in the La Liga to Real Madrid and Barcelona.
Atletico Madrid was a team (and still is) that was brimming with great players and Partey always shone when given the chance by Diego Simeone.
However, Ndidi's performances in the Premier League stood him out as he came tops several weeks with stats on interceptions and tackles while shielding the back line.
Sadly, that is not the case in recent years as a bad knee injury in the blue colours of Leicester City hugely affected the fortunes of the Foxes and also the Super Eagles especially in the country's hunt for a place at the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
Ndidi's defensive midfield 'rivalry' Partey scored the decisive goal at the MKO Abiola stadium Abuja in March 2022 to deny the three-time African champions a place at the Mundial.
Ndidi missed the World Cup playoffs due to his injury setback.
Fast forward to the present time and Ndidi is the shadow of himself while Partey played a big role in ensuring that Arsenal qualified for the Champions League for the first time since 2017.
The Gunners finished behind champions Manchester City but were even close to winning the title but for a late slump in form.
With the relegation of Leicester City to the Championship six years after winning the Premier League, most of the team's first team players have been released while some others with relatively high profiles are expected to leave the club.
Wilfred Ndidi is expected to be one of those that eventually depart the King Power stadium.
Looking at the clubs in the Premier League that best suits his game and also the one(s) that could have a need for his services, West Ham United looks a good proposition for him.
The Hammers on Wednesday night beat Fiorentina 2-1 to win the Europa Conference League - their first cup title in 48 years.
West Ham could lose the services of captain Declan Rice to other suitors like Arsenal and Bayerm Munich.
The England international is gaining the attention of these big sides ahead of the summer transfer window and could be forced to let go of their influential leader on the field if they receive a significant amount of money.
This is where Ndidi comes in.
The Nigerian could be Rice's replacement for the Hammers despite Rice proclaiming late Wednesday night in his post match interview that there's so much more for him to offer West Ham.
With the London side to play in the UEFA Europa League next season, it will be a good way to bounce back and restore some belief Ndidi's ability.
Photo Credit: lcfc.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Watch: 2023 Super Eagles invitee Gift Orban sent off for the first time in his pro career
- Sheffield Utd's Nigerian defender watches on from the bench as Newcastle make PL history
- 'Should have scored at least 25 goals' - Bayer star Boniface reacts after breaking 29yo Bundesliga record
- 'Ended up as the dominant player' - Tottenham coach has his say on duel between Udogie and Saka
- Super Eagles watch: Boniface matches Haaland's feat, Dessers nets winner for Rangers, Lookman back to form
- 'Just needs to calm down' - Pundit reckons Tottenham LB Udogie had a shaky first half performance v Arsenal
- 'Some even compare him to Napoli star Osimhen' - Danish media hails Arsenal U18 hat-trick hero Obi
- 'Imagine him alongside Caicedo' - Pundit wants Ugochukwu to partner Chelsea's history-making midfielder
- Tottenham legend Harry Kane puts Boniface in his place after historic display for Bayern Munich
- 'He is going to sign an important contract' - Fabrizio Romano on the future of Arsenal super kid Nwaneri
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football