Opinion: Why Super Eagles coach Peseiro dropped Moffi from AFCONQ squadPublished: June 09, 2023
Super Eagles coach José Peseiro has released his 23-man list for the match day five tie against the Leone stars of Sierra Leone in the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.
A significant omission from the squad was OGC Nice striker Terem Moffi whose exclusion has divided fans opinions.
Nottingham Forest striker Taiwo Awoniyi, Napoli forward Victor Osimhen, and Leicester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho were all preferred.
Let's try and take a look at what could have informed Peseiro's decision.
Moffi scored 18 goals in the Ligue 1 this season, making him the second top scorer among Super Eagles players in the top five leagues in Europe.
However, he has struggled to replicate the same for Nigeria, scoring three goals in 10 games, with two of them coming against a poor Sao Tome and Principe side.
He was disappointing in his last match against Guinea-Bissau, and he was hauled off after 62 minutes.
While it could be argued that Iheanacho has not been superb either, he offers versatility as he can play as a secondary striker, which is the position he has played under Peseiro.
He has also established a partnership with Osimhen, whose place in the starting XI is certain.
More so, Moffi didn't finish the season strongly as he netted two goals in his last nine league games which endangered his position, while Awoniyi was in red hot form.
The latter scored six goals in his last five games as he helped Nottingham Forest retain their place in the Premier League for at least one more season.
The 25-year-old's form made it irresistible for Peseiro not to hand him an invite.
While no one would argue if Moffi had been included, the above have established the reasons that could have informed Peseiro's decision to drop him.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Watch: 2023 Super Eagles invitee Gift Orban sent off for the first time in his pro career
- Sheffield Utd's Nigerian defender watches on from the bench as Newcastle make PL history
- 'Should have scored at least 25 goals' - Bayer star Boniface reacts after breaking 29yo Bundesliga record
- 'Ended up as the dominant player' - Tottenham coach has his say on duel between Udogie and Saka
- Super Eagles watch: Boniface matches Haaland's feat, Dessers nets winner for Rangers, Lookman back to form
- 'Just needs to calm down' - Pundit reckons Tottenham LB Udogie had a shaky first half performance v Arsenal
- 'Some even compare him to Napoli star Osimhen' - Danish media hails Arsenal U18 hat-trick hero Obi
- 'Imagine him alongside Caicedo' - Pundit wants Ugochukwu to partner Chelsea's history-making midfielder
- Tottenham legend Harry Kane puts Boniface in his place after historic display for Bayern Munich
- 'He is going to sign an important contract' - Fabrizio Romano on the future of Arsenal super kid Nwaneri
- Football Betting
- Cakhia TV truc tiep
- Socolive TV truc tiep bong da
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football