Golden Boy 2023: Chelsea, Sturm Graz, Rennes starlets of Nigerian descent make shortlistPublished: June 20, 2023
Three Super Eagles-eligible players have been included on the 100-strong list of youngsters competing for the Golden Boy 2023 award.
Italian sports daily Tuttosport, which organizes the award, released this Tuesday the 100 initial names that are competing for the trophy, which was won by Barcelona midfielder Gavi in 2022.
Chelsea midfielder Carney Chukwuemeka, Sturm Graz striker Emanuel Emegha and Rennes midfielder Lesley Ugochukwu have been shortlisted for the award.
Chukwuemeka sealed a transfer to Chelsea last summer and went on to make fifteen appearances in all competitions in his first season at Stamford Bridge.
Emegha, a Netherlands youth international, shone for Sturm Graz, helping them win the Austrian Cup and mustered ten goals over the course of the season, while Ugochukwu logged 35 appearances in all competitions for Rennes.
For the 21st edition of the Golden Boy, Tuttosport has collaborated with Football Benchmark - data and analytics partner of the award.
The Golden Boy Index, which takes into account the performances, playing time, team value, performances in national teams and European competitions of each player, will assist the European journalists determine the European Golden Boy Absolute Best and the Best Italian Golden Boy .
Chukwuemeka has a Golden Boy rating of 60.1, Ugochukwu is rated at 67.7 and Emegha has a rating of 77.2.
Based on the Golden Boy rating, the top three favorites to win the Golden Boy are cap-tied Germany international of Nigerian descent Jamal Musiala, Real Madrid's brand new signing Jude Bellingham and Gavi.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Peseiro's pre-match wish on Lookman comes true: Atalanta striker fires brace in 3-2 win against AC Milan
- FA Youth Cup: Nwaneri scores five goals to inspire Arsenal to 7-1 win against Crewe Alexandra
- Super Eagles watch: Ninth goal involvement for Ndidi; Dessers powerful strike; Ejuke gets his groove back
- 'It looks very nasty' - Michael Owen insists Onyeka was lucky to escape red card against Sheffield United
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football