Official: Super Eagles midfielder Mikel departs J1 League clubPublished: June 27, 2023
Through official channels, Japanese J1 League club Shonan Bellmare have announced the departure of Nigeria international Mikel Agu.
The defensive midfielder joined Shonan Bellmare last summer on a two-year deal.
His time at Shonan Bellmare was marred by injuries, and he is leaving the club with just one appearance to his name which came in an Emperor's Cup match versus BTOP Hokkaido on June 7.
Overall, the combative midfielder missed a total of twenty three games across all competitions due to injury, comprising seventeen in the J1 League and six in the League Cup.
On his curriculum vitae, the Benin City-born player wore the jerseys of Club Brugge, Vitoria FC, Bursaspor, Vitoria Guimaraes and CF Fuenlarrada in the past.
In his parting words to Shonan Bellmare fans, Mikel said: "I would like to express my deep gratitude to all the Shonan supporters.
"Even though I didn't have many opportunities to play in matches, I felt the deep affection of the supporters from the bottom of my heart. I am very grateful for that.
"Ever since I became a professional soccer player, I have never felt so much love from the supporters."
A product of BJ Foundation Academy, Mikel was named in Nigeria's provisional squad to the 2018 World Cup.
The 30-year-old has seven international caps for the Super Eagles, the last of which came against Algeria in a friendly on October 9, 2020.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Muscle tear injury: Chelsea midfielder Ugochukwu will not show off to dad at Old Trafford
- 'I've had many African players Yobo and Yakubu' - West Ham boss on being without some players during AFCON
- Tottenham vs West Ham prediction: Can West Ham upset Tottenham's top-four ambitions?
- Fabrizio Romano not convinced Chelsea target Osimhen is close to signing a new deal with Napoli
- Bundesliga transfer expert confirms Nigerian striker will sign a contract with Eintracht Frankfurt until 2028
- 'We're losing a lot of players' - Nottingham Forest boss aware Aina, 5 others could be heading to the AFCON
- Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo temporarily returns to parent club Arsenal
- FA Youth Cup: Two players of Nigerian descent on target for Tottenham Hotspur in win against Brentford
- German manager reveals Eintracht Frankfurt offered N17.3b to sign Gift Orban in the summer
- Confirmed team news: Three Super Eagles-eligible players ruled out of Manchester United v Chelsea
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football