Former Middlesbrough striker Akpom beats Tella, 4 others to win PFA Championship POTYPublished: August 29, 2023
Nigerian striker Chuba Akpom has been named as the PFA Championship Player of the Year for the 2022-2023 campaign.
The new Ajax Amsterdam player won the award on Monday evening after seeing off competition from ex-Burnley player Nathan Tella, ex-Coventry City striker Viktor Gyokeres, Carlton Morris (Luton Town), Josh Brownhill (Burnley) and former Sheffield United star Iliman Ndiaye.
The Arsenal youth product starred for Middlesbrough in the Championship last season and led the club to the English second-tier playoffs where they were beaten by Coventry City in the semifinals.
The 27-year-old bagged 28 goals for Boro which was the most by any player in the Championship.
He adds the PFA award to his cabinet of honours from last season as he also bagged Middlesbrough's Player of the Year and Player's Player of the Year, and EFL Championship Player Of the Year in the last campaign.
Akpom was also named in the PFA Championship Team of the season alongside Nathan Tella and nine others.
The performance of Akpom has earned him a move to Eredivisie giants Ajax Amsterdam.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Muscle tear injury: Chelsea midfielder Ugochukwu will not show off to dad at Old Trafford
- 'I've had many African players Yobo and Yakubu' - West Ham boss on being without some players during AFCON
- Tottenham vs West Ham prediction: Can West Ham upset Tottenham's top-four ambitions?
- Fabrizio Romano not convinced Chelsea target Osimhen is close to signing a new deal with Napoli
- Bundesliga transfer expert confirms Nigerian striker will sign a contract with Eintracht Frankfurt until 2028
- 'We're losing a lot of players' - Nottingham Forest boss aware Aina, 5 others could be heading to the AFCON
- Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo temporarily returns to parent club Arsenal
- FA Youth Cup: Two players of Nigerian descent on target for Tottenham Hotspur in win against Brentford
- German manager reveals Eintracht Frankfurt offered N17.3b to sign Gift Orban in the summer
- Confirmed team news: Three Super Eagles-eligible players ruled out of Manchester United v Chelsea
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football