'First mission is to win it' - Ajax Amsterdam legend backs Super Eagles to win 2023 AFCONPublished: September 10, 2023
Nigeria have already qualified for the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations in Ivory Coast but must avoid slipping up against São Tomé and Príncipe to avoid being toppled by Guinea Bissau at the summit of the Group A standings.
Heading into the final matchday, the Super Eagles lead the way with 12 points from five games, two more than second placed Guinea Bissau who face Sierra Leone on Monday, September 11.
After winning the Africa Cup of Nations for a third time in 2013, the Super Eagles finished third in 2019 and were eliminated in the round of 16 in the last edition.
Finidi George is focused on what comes next after the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, stating that the Super Eagles can win next year's tournament in Ivory Coast.
The Ajax Amsterdam legend knows a thing or two about winning tournaments as he was a key member of the Super Eagles squad that won the AFCON in 1994.
Speaking to reporters in Uyo, George said: "Every country wants to win the AFCON before the AFCON but when you get there it all depends on how you start the tournament.
"If you start well the confidence builds up, that will take you even further so our aim is to win it, but you never know what can happen.
"We'll go there with the mindset to win it. First mission for the AFCON is to win it."
The last time Nigeria played São Tomé and Príncipe, the three-time African champions won 10-0 with Victor Osimhen getting on the scoresheet four times.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Muscle tear injury: Chelsea midfielder Ugochukwu will not show off to dad at Old Trafford
- 'I've had many African players Yobo and Yakubu' - West Ham boss on being without some players during AFCON
- Tottenham vs West Ham prediction: Can West Ham upset Tottenham's top-four ambitions?
- Fabrizio Romano not convinced Chelsea target Osimhen is close to signing a new deal with Napoli
- Bundesliga transfer expert confirms Nigerian striker will sign a contract with Eintracht Frankfurt until 2028
- 'We're losing a lot of players' - Nottingham Forest boss aware Aina, 5 others could be heading to the AFCON
- Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo temporarily returns to parent club Arsenal
- FA Youth Cup: Two players of Nigerian descent on target for Tottenham Hotspur in win against Brentford
- German manager reveals Eintracht Frankfurt offered N17.3b to sign Gift Orban in the summer
- Confirmed team news: Three Super Eagles-eligible players ruled out of Manchester United v Chelsea
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football