Arsenal's Golden Eaglets-eligible striker reveals Tottenham passed up the chance to sign himPublished: September 12, 2023
Golden Eaglets-eligible player Daniel Oyetunde has revealed that Tottenham Hotspur passed up the opportunity to sign him before his move to Arsenal at U15 level following a successful trial.
Oyetunde was one of the three players of Nigerian descent that signed a scholarship deal with Arsenal in the off season, the others being history-making midfielder Ethan Nwaneri and fullback Cam’ron Ismail.
A striker by trade, he started his footballing career at the age of six when he joined a Sunday League team in his local area and also played for his school team.
Having put himself in the shop window by scoring plenty of goals for Cheshunt FC, whom he helped win the league, Oyetunde attracted interest from a few academies including Arsenal who offered him an eight-week trial.
Speaking to Arsenal's official website on how his move to the Gunners came about, Oyetunde said: "I wasn’t too nervous because I’d been on trial at Tottenham a year earlier so I knew what to expect.
"Even though I was never offered a contract there, it gave me the opportunity to experience the level of ability I needed to be at if I wanted to succeed at an academy.
"My trial here started off on the right footing. In our first game against Crystal Palace I managed to get two assists and then within four weeks of my eight-week trial I was offered a contract at the club."
Oyetunde scored his first-ever goal for Arsenal youth teams in a north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur.
"We won the game 2-1 and I also got an assist – it’s ironic given that a couple of years prior to that Tottenham hadn't offered me a contract," he added.
Oyetunde is highly thought of by the powers that be at the Emirates Stadium, given that he made his debuts for the U18s and development squad whilst still a schoolboy.
The promising teenager is a versatile offensive player who can operate as a number 9 or wide attacker.
Photo Credit: arsenal.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Peseiro's pre-match wish on Lookman comes true: Atalanta striker fires brace in 3-2 win against AC Milan
- FA Youth Cup: Nwaneri scores five goals to inspire Arsenal to 7-1 win against Crewe Alexandra
- Super Eagles watch: Ninth goal involvement for Ndidi; Dessers powerful strike; Ejuke gets his groove back
- 'It looks very nasty' - Michael Owen insists Onyeka was lucky to escape red card against Sheffield United
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football