Two youngsters of Nigerian descent promoted to Arsenal first team training pre-EvertonPublished: September 13, 2023
Manager Mikel Arteta promoted two youngsters of Nigerian descent in the shape of 2023 Flying Eagles invitee Ovie Ejeheri and midfielder Miguel Azeez to first team training ahead of Arsenal's Premier League meeting with Everton.
With sixteen Arsenal players called up for international duty this month, the Spanish football tactician brought in some outstanding academy players to make up the numbers.
Ejeheri and Azeez rubbed shoulders with African star Mohamed Elneny who is nearing a return to fitness after a long injury layoff that has seen him miss the last 28 competitive matches played by the Gunners.
The two Anglo-Nigerian players have been omitted from Arsenal's 25-man Premier League roster but remain eligible to feature in the competition as they are classed as U21 players having been born after January 1, 2002.
Ejeheri has not received a call-up for a first team game since joining Arsenal but was picked as the 21st or extra player for a Premier League clash against Watford in November 2021.
Taking into account that Ejeheri is the development squad's first choice goalkeeper having started all of their four matches in the Premier League 2 in the new season, he is fourth choice in the pecking order of goalkeepers at the Emirates Stadium, behind Aaron Ramsdale, David Raya and Karl Hein.
Azeez has been included in Arsenal's matchday squad on ten occasions and made his only first team appearance to date in a Europa League game against Dundalk in December 2020
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Muscle tear injury: Chelsea midfielder Ugochukwu will not show off to dad at Old Trafford
- 'I've had many African players Yobo and Yakubu' - West Ham boss on being without some players during AFCON
- Tottenham vs West Ham prediction: Can West Ham upset Tottenham's top-four ambitions?
- Fabrizio Romano not convinced Chelsea target Osimhen is close to signing a new deal with Napoli
- Bundesliga transfer expert confirms Nigerian striker will sign a contract with Eintracht Frankfurt until 2028
- 'We're losing a lot of players' - Nottingham Forest boss aware Aina, 5 others could be heading to the AFCON
- Nigerian goalkeeper Arthur Okonkwo temporarily returns to parent club Arsenal
- FA Youth Cup: Two players of Nigerian descent on target for Tottenham Hotspur in win against Brentford
- German manager reveals Eintracht Frankfurt offered N17.3b to sign Gift Orban in the summer
- Confirmed team news: Three Super Eagles-eligible players ruled out of Manchester United v Chelsea
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football