Porto coach provides injury update on Super Eagles left-back Zaidu SanusiPublished: September 20, 2023
Porto manager Sérgio Conceição has explained why Zaidu Sanusi was substituted at halftime during his side's 3-1 wn over
Shakhtar Donetsk in their opening match in Group H of the Champions League on Tuesday.
In what was his 25th consecutive appearance for Porto in the Champions League, the left-back made way for Wendell before the second half started and it has now come to light that it was not a tactical substitution.
Conceição could not afford to risk Sanusi for the second half because the defender felt discomfort in the muscles.
Sanusi's return to action depends on the results of the scans he will undergo to determine the extent of his injury upon the team's return to Portugal on Wednesday.
In quotes relayed by Porto's official website, Conceição said: "João Mário left due to tiredness. Zaidu may have a muscle problem and we thought he shouldn't be in the second half, but when we arrive in Porto he will be re-evaluated.”
Nigeria manager Jose Peseiro will be monitoring the fitness of Sanusi as he is expected to send the list of players invited for the friendly with Saudi Arabia before the month runs out.
The 26-year-old was omitted from Nigeria's 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match against São Tomé and Príncipe earlier this month.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Peseiro's pre-match wish on Lookman comes true: Atalanta striker fires brace in 3-2 win against AC Milan
- FA Youth Cup: Nwaneri scores five goals to inspire Arsenal to 7-1 win against Crewe Alexandra
- Super Eagles watch: Ninth goal involvement for Ndidi; Dessers powerful strike; Ejuke gets his groove back
- 'It looks very nasty' - Michael Owen insists Onyeka was lucky to escape red card against Sheffield United
- 'My parents are proud Nigerians' - Premier League's fastest player reveals he considered playing for Super Eagles
- 'Declan Rice, Grealish chose England over Ireland' - Pundit on the international future of Arsenal striker Obi-Martin
- 'We have Adeleye, Ojo, Sochima' - Peseiro's sidekick urges Super Eagles coach to give chances to invitees
- 'I had an opportunity to get a hat-trick' - Iwobi admits he wanted to stay on against Nottingham Forest
- Nigerian tactician Hassan Sulaiman leads Chelsea into fourth round of FA Youth Cup
- 'Martial is a waste of space' - Ex-Chelsea star urges Man Utd to sign Boniface when 25 percent stake is sold
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football