'I told him to try to score' - Udogie's very first coach reveals Tottenham LB used to be a playmakerPublished: September 21, 2023
Stefano Grespan, Destiny Udogie's very first coach during his time with the Circolo Noi football school in Nogara, a town in the province of Verona where the footballer grew up, has revealed that the defender initially started out his career as a playmaker.
Udogie has now become one of the most exciting young left-backs in the Premier League and his two assists in five games is a testament to his ability.
With Ange Postecoglou favoring a 4-3-3 formation, it was unclear whether Udogie would be guaranteed playing opportunities in the new season as the Italian-Nigerian is more comfortable playing as a wing-back - the position he played at Udinese for two seasons.
The 20-year-old has been able to force his way into Tottenham Hotspur's starting lineup which is impressive considering the fact that Wales international Ben Davies is way more experienced with 281 Premier League games under his belt.
Grespan, who worked with the Italy U21 international of Nigerian descent in his formative years, remembered the brilliant goal Udogie scored in a tournament.
"During a summer seven-a-side football tournament. We were against another football school in the Verona area, and the match didn't end, the first half ended 0-0," he told Sportitalia.
"Destiny always played as a playmaker in front of the defence, at half-time I told him to try to advance and try to score.
"Well, he got the ball and from 25 meters he unleashed a real saber attack with the ball which ended up in the net. From that moment we spread. "
No player has won possession in the attacking third more times than Udogie in the Premier League this season, a statistic that underlines his role as a marauding left-back.
Photo Credit: tottenhamhotspur.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- 'He's often in the right place' - 1988 European Championship winner Kieft praises Ajax super-sub Akpom
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football