Flying Eagles central defender finally makes his Brentford debut, but for B teamPublished: September 26, 2023
Twenty-six days after Brentford announced the capture of Nigeria U20 international Benjamin Fredrick, the talented central defender finally made his debut, but for the B team, on Tuesday night.
The Simoiben FC loanee was named in the starting lineup in Brentford's 2-0 loss to non-leaguers Wingate & Finchley in the first round of the London Senior Cup at the Maurice Rebak Stadium.
Fredrick was a non-playing substitute as the Bees suffered a heavy loss at the hands of Fulham in the Premier League Cup on September 15.
A week later, the Flying Eagles star was missing from the gameday squad as Brentford B were beaten 3-0 by Braga B in a freiendly in Portugal at the Complexo Desportivo de Fao.
Fredrick came inches away from breaking the deadlock against the Isthmian League Premier Division side but his header went narrowly wide in the 40th minute after he was teed up by former Republic of Ireland U19 international of Nigerian descent, Val Adedokun.
Wingate & Finchley took the lead in the 58th minute when Eliiot Long slotted beyond the goalkeeper after he was put through on goal by Zach.
The Blues doubled their advantage through Luke Ifil in the first minute of second half stoppage time.
Although he was signed for the B team, Fredrick has been registered on Brentford's Premier League roster as an U21 player.
Brentford have an option to make the signing of Fredrick permanent at the end of the 2023-2024 season.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Chukwuemeka sends message to Colwill as England defender scores first-ever goal for Chelsea
- Boniface ends 518-minute Bundesliga goal drought to help Bayer Leverkusen remain unbeaten
- Udogie features in six-goal thriller between Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur
- Nigerian player scores against Scottish champions Celtic for the second matchday running
- Transfer guru Romano tells Chelsea what to do in order to tempt Napoli to sell Osimhen in January
- 'It was a big moment for me' - Super Eagles striker reacts after first goal in West Brom colours
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football