'It's a concern' - Bayer coach worried about Boniface, Tella linking up with Nigeria squad for AFCONPublished: November 10, 2023
Bayer Leverkusen boss Xabi Alonso has raised concerns over the potential participation of Victor Boniface, Nathan Tella and other African players in his side at the 2023 African Cup of Nations next year.
Tella and Boniface have been called up for the Super Eagles' upcoming World Cup qualifiers which will be played during the next international break and that will not influence Bayer Leverkusen's season.
However, should the duo be named in the Nigeria squad for AFCON, that could hinder the aspirations of the BayArena outfit as the competition will be played at a time when the European season is still ongoing.
The Black and Reds lead are table toppers in the Bundesliga at the moment and the absence of the Nigerian forwards will deplete the options in their attacking department.
In quotes relayed by Transfermarkt, the Spanish tactician said : "It is a concern for January and February, perhaps not having five players," said Alonso in Baku, Azerbaijan. "It is a reality. We have to accept that."
Moroccan forward Amine Adli, Burkina Faso centre back Edmond Tapsoba and Ivorian defender Odilon Kossounou are the other players Bayer Leverkusen could miss during the tournament
The Africa Cup of Nations will be staged between January 13 and February 11 which could see the Spanish tactician miss Tella and Boniface for 5 games if Nigeria advance to the final of the competition.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'He will change a lot of things for Chelsea' - Gianfranco Zola reveals Osimhen is tailor-made for PL
- Alejandro Garnacho beats Shoretire, 7 others to win Manchester United Goal of the Month
- Bayer Leverkusen striker Victor Boniface gunning for fourth consecutive Bundesliga award
- Taiwo Awoniyi nominated for Fans' Footballer of the Year 2023 award
- Arsenal loanee Okonkwo to undergo further examinations to determine severity of jaw injury
- 'Ministry played a role in that employment' - Sports Minister confirms Peseiro's future will be determined after AFCON
- Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving Osimhen
- Super Eagles-eligible winger joins Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham stars in BBC's PL TOTW
- Gift Orban shows he's more than a goalscorer in Gent's 2-2 draw with Genk
- Fifa U17 World Cup: Germany's Brunner follows in the footsteps of Iheanacho; Ruberto emulates Osimhen
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football