Penalty or no penalty? Italy and Inter Milan great Bergomi has his say on incident involving OsimhenPublished: December 04, 2023
Inter Milan showed why they are favourites for the Scudetto on Sunday night at the Diego Maradona Stadium with a statement 3-0 win over Napoli but there was a touch of controversy to some refereeing decisions.
Napoli manager Walter Mazzarri skipped the post-match press conference as he wanted to avoid making statements that could cause problems.
Inter Milan, ninety seconds before the break, reaffirmed their title credentials with a screamer from Hakan Çalhanoğlu.
Nicolò Barella with three flawless touches doubled the advantage with an absolutely fabulous goal to give Inter Milan a big lead just past the hour mark.
Marcus Thuram tapped in with five minutes left on the clock to add gloss to the scoreline.
One of the talking points from the game was the decision of referee Davide Massa not to award a penalty to Napoli in the 57th minute after Francesco Acerbi made a touch on the achilles of Osimhen inside the box.
Osimhen rolled on the turf seemingly in pain but the referee ruled that the tackle was not enough to warrant a penalty.
Italy and Inter Milan great Giuseppe Bergomi reckons that the referee made the right call in not awarding Napoli a penalty.
"In the past they gave penalties like this but it's too little to give a penalty," he was quoted as saying by FCInter1908.
Against Inter Milan, Osimhen made his first start for Napoli after his recovery from a hamstring injury that kept him sidelined for six weeks.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football