Peseiro's pre-match wish on Lookman comes true: Atalanta striker fires brace in 3-2 win against AC MilanPublished: December 09, 2023
Jose Peseiro's pre-match wish came true as Super Eagles star Ademola Lookman netted a brace to inspire Atalanta to a hard-fought 3-2 win over AC Milan at the Gewiss Stadium in Bergamo on matchday 15 of the Serie A on Saturday evening.
In an interview with celebrated Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport ahead of the game, the Nigeria manager said he hoped Ademola Lookman and Samuel Chuwkueze would score two goals apiece.
While Lookman grabbed a brace to take his tally for the season to six, Chukwueze fired blanks in 58 minutes of action.
Peserio's prediction of the outcome of the game was almost spot on as he had envisaged that both teams would share the spoils in a 3-3 draw.
"Two dribblers. Ademola scores more, Samuel looks for the play. I hope it ends 3-3 with two braces," Peseiro told the Italian sports daily.
Lookman broke the deadlock in the 38th minute when he made a lovely turn and slotted home via a deflection off Fikayo Tomori.
After Olivier Giroud's equalizer in first half stoppage time, the Nerazzurri restored their lead on 55 minutes when the Super Eagles midfielder fired into the roof of the net to complete his brace.
Lookman came close to scoring a hat-trick in the 76th minute but his effort from a rebound was miraculously saved by the Milan goalkeeper and he failed to tap in.
The miss almost proved costly as Luka Jović scored from close range to make it 2-2 but Atalanta had the final say thanks to Luis Muriel's late winner in the fifth minute of stoppage time.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 2024 Olympic qualifier: Five tactical tweaks Waldrum must make to avoid defeat against Cameroon
- 'Will never be less than 7 or 8 months' - Porto coach confirms key Nigeria LB Zaidu is out of WCQs in June
- 'We still can't rule out Arsenal' - Transfer insider claims Gunners can compete with Chelsea, PSG for Osimhen
- 'He has a big salary' - Ex-Spartak defender hits out at Victor Moses over work ethic
- Former Man City winger Wright-Phillips reacts to Bassey's opener in Fulham's win at Man Utd
- Iwobi's match-winning strike: Alan Shearer praises Fulham star for fooling Man Utd's Cameroon GK
- Chelsea star Madueke looking forward to Wembley showdown with Liverpool, inspired by Drogba's iconic volley
- Super Eagles watch: Dessers nets brace for table-topping Rangers; Watford's Dennis back-to-back home goals
- Return of 2023 AFCON heroes and four other takeaways from Bendel Insurance draw against Enyimba
- Former Tottenham striker Bent points finger at three Manchester United players for Iwobi and Bassey goals
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football