'In the next two years' - Skenderbeu midfielder Mario Rabiu eyes move to Europe's top five leaguesPublished: December 31, 2023
Promising Nigerian defensive midfielder Mario Rabiu has expressed optimism about playing in one of the top 5 leagues in Europe.
The 23-year-old currently plays for the Albanian side Skënderbeu, having joined them in the summer on a two-year deal.
He started his career with Abuja Football College before moving to Italian club Modena in 2018 where he made his first professional appearance.
Rabiu helped Modena secure promotion to Serie C and also played a role in their elevation to Serie B but he eventually lost his place in the team and that informed his loan move to Serie C side Grosseto in 2022.
Having returned from his loan term with Grosseto, he terminated his contract by mutual consent with Modena.
He moved to another Serie C Club, Viterbese in January 2023 and played there till his move to Skënderbeu this summer.
In an interview he granted recently, he spoke about his career at length, what he aims to achieve in the future and when is he going to play in the top 5 leagues in Europe.
When asked about his career so far, he said: "First of all,thank God for the journey so far and the situation I am in and everything.
"Lately, I was in Italy, I played for four seasons in Modena , like from the fourth division to the second division, so then I had a minor issue with the management and everything, that is not a big issue.
"So I left for another third-division club, like 2 division clubs but during that period, I had like injury issues, that was part of the minor issue I had with my former club
When asked what year was that, he replied: "That was between 2021 and 2022, this year currently, I am in Albania, Skenderbeu playing there, I signed two years contract with them and up till now it has been going good, thanks to God and I hope it gets better."
When asked about the Albanian League and if many Nigerians play there, the midfielder said: "Here it is not bad, there are Africans over there and there Nigerians over there, like my club, we have 5-6 Nigerians, like they are good."
On playing in the Champions League, the defensive midfielder had this to say: "Hopefully, if we are in the top 3 positions in the league because we are sixth in the league. if we could get top three or top four, we can aim for the Europa League"
Asked about his future objectives, Rabiu said: "My future aim is, you know, is yet to be revealed something like that, you know, I am aiming for something good and better from where I am now."
On when he will play in one of the top 5 leagues in Europe: "Let's say in the next two years, it is going to happen, In Shaa Allah".
Rabiu has had a good start to his career in Albania, having started all Skënderbeu games so far.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'One of our best players' - Leicester coach provides injury update on Super Eagles midfielder Ndidi
- Premier League and Serie A calling: Is it time for Boniface to bid farewell to Bayer Leverkusen?
- Super Eagles duo Iwobi, Bassey hoping Fulham can hurt Man Utd for the first time in nineteen games
- Chelsea post scouts to run the rule over Osimhen in Napoli's 1-1 draw against Barcelona
- Super Eagles centre-back resumes training at Boavista after contracting malaria at AFCON
- 'I don't care about anything, just to score' - Flying Eagles invitee Joseph says he models game after Haaland
- Gabriel Osho: Three reasons Nigerian Federation should make another move for Luton Town CB
- Why William Troost-Ekong shone in AFCON 2023
- Nigerian football stars to watch out for
- Game changers: Three Indomitable Lionesses players Super Falcons must be wary of in Olympic qualifiers
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football