Italy coach reveals he has been monitoring Fiorentina, Burnley teenagers of Nigerian descentPublished: January 02, 2024
Italy's national team coach Luciano Spalletti has confirmed that he has been keeping tabs on eight players including two teenagers of Nigerian descent with a view to a possible call-up to gli Azzurri ahead of this year's European Championship.
Fiorentina fullback Michael Kayode and Burnley dazzler Luca Koleosho are in the plans of Spalletti ahead of Euro 2024.
Kayode and Koleosho were members of the Italy squad that won the 2023 European U19 Championship with the former netted the winning goal in the showpiece versus Portugal.
The duo have been promoted to Italy's U21 national team and have both debuted for the squad coached by Carmine Nunziata.
Koleosho was born in Connecticut, United States to a Nigerian father and Italian-Canadian mother which makes him eligible to play international football for USA, Nigeria, Italy and Canada.
Former Juventus youth teamer Kayode was born in Borgomanero and is eligible for the Super Eagles through his father.
Speaking about the young players being monitored for the senior national team, Spalletti told Repubblica: "Players like Kayode, Ranieri, Koleosho and Casadei have emerged. We've been monitoring them for a while.
"Bove is now a certainty and I've liked Lucca's behaviour lately. Then Prati and Calafiori who is a certainty on the left and centre, and is ready for the national team."
Should Kayode, Koleosho and Tottenham Hotspur left-back Destiny Udogie make an appearance for Italy at the 2024 European Championship, they would no longer be eligible to represent the Super Eagles.
Photo Credit: figc.it
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Eagles' AFCON star Lookman training on his own ahead of AC Milan v Atalanta
- 'One of our best players' - Leicester coach provides injury update on Super Eagles midfielder Ndidi
- Premier League and Serie A calling: Is it time for Boniface to bid farewell to Bayer Leverkusen?
- Super Eagles duo Iwobi, Bassey hoping Fulham can hurt Man Utd for the first time in nineteen games
- Chelsea post scouts to run the rule over Osimhen in Napoli's 1-1 draw against Barcelona
- Super Eagles centre-back resumes training at Boavista after contracting malaria at AFCON
- 'I don't care about anything, just to score' - Flying Eagles invitee Joseph says he models game after Haaland
- Gabriel Osho: Three reasons Nigerian Federation should make another move for Luton Town CB
- Why William Troost-Ekong shone in AFCON 2023
- Nigerian football stars to watch out for
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football