Chelsea Coach Lampard Explains Why Giroud Started Ahead Of Abraham Against LeicesterPublished: August 18, 2019
France World Cup winner Olivier Giroud was picked to start ahead of Nigerian striker Tammy Abraham in the ongoing game between Chelsea and Leicester City at Stamford Bridge.
The Frenchman has retained his place in the starting line-up after impressing in the UEFA Super Cup loss to Liverpool in which he opened the scoring in the 36th minute.
Abraham was handed his full debut for Chelsea in their opening day loss to Manchester United last weekend before making way for Giroud in the second half, and the roles were reversed against Liverpool.
In an interview with Sky Sports before the game kicked off, Lampard explained : ''It's a choice I made. I have got competition there, he (Giroud) did well against Liverpool earlier in the week so I have just gone with him.
''I have got choices same with midfield, that's difficult choice to take, Kovacic for today because midfield has good players, good choices.
''He didn't deserve at all to not be playing but I have to make decisions and that's why I have done that''.
Leicester City's Kelechi Iheanacho and Chelsea's Fikayo Tomori are on the bench along with Abraham.
Photo Credit : chelseafc.com
Football News 24/7
- Barcelona, Real Madrid, Liverpool Suffer Blow In Pursuit Of Lille Goal Poacher Osimhen
- Everton's Iwobi Receives Standing Ovation From Arsenal Fans On His Return To The Emirates
- Arsenal Coach Arteta Hails Saka For Offensive Contribution Against Everton
- Rangers Coach Gerrard Frustrated After Draw Vs St. Johnstone Despite Aribo's Heroics
- Mikel Arteta Explains Why He Benched Arsenal New Hero Saka Against Everton
- 'He Was Unfortunate Not To Score Against Chelsea' - Ex-Man Utd Defender On Ighalo Being An Impact Player
- Coronavirus : No Italian Serie A Action For Chelsea Product Aina And Victor Moses
- 'I Wish To Play For Man Utd In Future Like Ighalo' - Aston Villa, Palace Linked Striker Reveals Dream Club
- Manchester United Coach Backing Watford Old Boy Ighalo To Score On Home Debut
- (Photo) Teenage Nigerian Striker Trains Again With Arsenal First Team Pre-Everton
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football