Salzburg's Haaland Equals Champions League Record Held By Yakubu And 6 PlayersPublished: September 18, 2019
Red Bull Salzburg striker Erling Haaland scored a hat-trick on his Champions League debut against Racing Genk on Tuesday night.
In doing so, the Norway international became the eighth player to find the net three times (or more) on his Champions League debut, following in the footsteps of retired Super Eagles striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni and six other players.
Marco van Basten (AC Milan), Faustino Asprilla (Newcastle), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Vincenzo Iaquinta (Udinese), Grafite (Wolfsburg) and Yacine Brahimi (Porto) are the other players to have scored hat-tricks on their Champions League debuts.
Yakubu achieved the feat in Maccabi Haifa's 3-0 rout of Olympiakos on September 24, 2002, making him the third youngest player to score a hat-trick on his Champions League debut, aged 19 years, 10 months and 2 days.
Rooney is the youngest debut scorer of a Champions League hat-trick, aged 18 years and 340 days while Haaland is second in the list of players at 19 years and 58 days.
Yakubu is the only Nigerian player to have scored a hat-trick in the Champions League and scored four hat-tricks in total for three different clubs in the Premier League, Blackburn Rovers, Everton and Portsmouth.
Against Olympiakos, the ex-Super Eagles striker scored a hat-trick in the space of 59 minutes, with the first goal arriving in the 27th minute.
Photo Credit : starsixes.com
Football News 24/7
- Barcelona Interested In Signing Red Bull Salzburg Striker Eligible For Nigeria
- Barcelona Line Up Chukwueze As Alternative To Brazil Superstar Neymar
- Anglo-Nigerian Midfielder Cites Chelsea Coach Lampard As Footballing Role Model
- Against All Odds: When Hopeless Soccer Bets Paid Fortunes
- Rohr Identifies Two Key Attributes Of Super Eagles New Star Joe Aribo
- Sao Paulo Coach Rates The Performance Of Golden Eaglets After 2-1 Loss
- 2019 Bet9ja Royal Cup : Group Games Start With Fireworks
- Uzoho Set For Lengthy Layoff As AC Omonia Confirm Super Eagles Star Suffered ACL Injury
- Ebiowei & Jinadu Not Involved; Oluwabusola Goes 90 For Nigeria U17s In Loss To Sao Paulo FC
- Relief For Super Eagles Fans As Chelsea Star Tomori Remains Eligible For Nigeria
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football