Coronavirus : Chelsea Legend Mikel Refuses To Play Against Istanbul BasaksehirPublished: March 16, 2020
Chelsea legend John Obi Mikel was an unused substitute as Trabzonspor were held to a 1-1 draw by Istanbul Basaksehir at the Medical Park Stadyumu (Trabzon) on Sunday afternoon, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.
According to Spanish sports daily Mundo Deportivo (via Milliyet), Mikel did not play the match because he refused to enter the pitch.
A day before the game between Trabzonspor and Istanbul Basaksehir, the 2013 AFCON winner took to Instagram to express his concerns over the coronavirus situation and called for the Turkish Super Lig to be postponed.
"There is more to life than football. I do not feel comfortable and don’t want to play football in this situation," Mikel stated.
"Everyone should be home with their families and loved ones in this critical time. Season should be cancelled as the world is facing such turbulent times."
The fact that the central midfielder had started twelve of the last thirteen league games he was available for selection prior to the game against Istanbul Basaksehir gives credibility to the report from the Barcelona based newspaper.
In addition, Trabzonspor manager Huseyin Cimsir touched on the subject during his post-match press conference, saying that Mikel's decision is unconnected to the club but stressed that he respects the decision of the former Nigeria captain.
The only other time Mikel did not taste action when he made the Trabzonspor matchday squad was more than six months ago in their 1-1 draw with Fenerbahce.
Football News 24/7
- 'The First Nigerian To Score For Man Utd' - Ighalo Reveals His Favourite Moment As A Red Devil
- Report : Watford Offer Multi-Year Deal To Tottenham Academy Product Troost-Ekong
- 'A Great Pass From Saka' - Man Utd Legend Evra Hails Creativity Of Versatile Arsenal Winger
- Super-sub Hoogewerf Provides Important Assist In Season Debut For Manchester United
- Official : Liverpool Loan Out 2013 U17 World Cup Winner Awoniyi To Union Berlin
- Eze Helps Crystal Palace Set New Club Record In Win Against Ighalo's Manchester United
- 'It's Better For Eze' - Ian Wright On Midfielder's Omission From Palace Starting XI Vs Man Utd
- Real Madrid's Akinlabi On The Cusp Of History As Zidane Names Winger In Matchday Squad For Season Opener
- Done Deal : Arsenal Academy Product Akpom Completes Move To Middlesbrough
- New FIFA Rule : Southampton's Obafemi Can Switch Allegiance WEF 2021; Tomori, Abraham Ineligible
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football