Coronavirus : Chelsea Legend Mikel Refuses To Play Against Istanbul BasaksehirPublished: March 16, 2020
Chelsea legend John Obi Mikel was an unused substitute as Trabzonspor were held to a 1-1 draw by Istanbul Basaksehir at the Medical Park Stadyumu (Trabzon) on Sunday afternoon, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.
According to Spanish sports daily Mundo Deportivo (via Milliyet), Mikel did not play the match because he refused to enter the pitch.
A day before the game between Trabzonspor and Istanbul Basaksehir, the 2013 AFCON winner took to Instagram to express his concerns over the coronavirus situation and called for the Turkish Super Lig to be postponed.
"There is more to life than football. I do not feel comfortable and don’t want to play football in this situation," Mikel stated.
"Everyone should be home with their families and loved ones in this critical time. Season should be cancelled as the world is facing such turbulent times."
The fact that the central midfielder had started twelve of the last thirteen league games he was available for selection prior to the game against Istanbul Basaksehir gives credibility to the report from the Barcelona based newspaper.
In addition, Trabzonspor manager Huseyin Cimsir touched on the subject during his post-match press conference, saying that Mikel's decision is unconnected to the club but stressed that he respects the decision of the former Nigeria captain.
The only other time Mikel did not taste action when he made the Trabzonspor matchday squad was more than six months ago in their 1-1 draw with Fenerbahce.
Football News 24/7
- 'This Is What He Signed For Palace For' - Ex-Spurs Star Backs Eze To Shine Vs Man City
- Barcelona-Linked Striker Of Nigerian Descent Explains Why He Rejected Chance To Join Chelsea
- Crotone's Simy Overtakes Liverpool Loanee As Nigeria's Top Scorer Europe's Top Five Leagues
- Four Teenagers Of Nigerian Descent Train With Arsenal First Team Pre-Newcastle United
- Ex-Arsenal Striker Okenabirhie Celebrates Reaching 50 Career Goals With Brace For Doncaster Rovers
- Fenerbahce In Talks With Queens Park Rangers About Signing Nigerian-Born Winger In January
- Leicester City's Iheanacho Reaches Milestone After Replacing Vardy In 2-0 Win Vs Southampton
- Adaramola, Akinwale Find The Net As Crystal Palace Rout Fulham In U18 Premier League
- Fulham Told How Much It Will Cost To Sign RB Leipzig-Owned Winger Lookman
- Ex-Tottenham Trainee Madueke On Target As PSV Beat Okoye's Sparta Rotterdam In 8-Goal Thriller
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football