Nigeria Squad Announcement: Iwobi, Aina Called Up; Osimhen Returns; Swiss-Born Osigwe NoveltyPublished: October 29, 2020
The Nigeria Football Federation has named the Super Eagles squad list ahead of the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying matches against Sierra Leone next month, allnigeriasoccer.com reports.
Three-time African champions Nigeria will take on Sierra Leone on matchday three in the AFCON qualifiers in Benin City on November 13, before facing the same opponents four days later.
An analysis of the 24-man roster picked by manager Gernot Rohr revealed that three goalkeepers, nine defenders, four midfielders and eight strikers have been handed call-ups for the two competitive games.
The novelty in the list of players invited is FC Lugano goalkeeper Sebastian Osigwe whose international future would be locked by the Nigerian Federation if he plays in any of the matches next month.
The Luzern-born glovesman was a member of the Flying Eagles squad to the 2013 Toulon Tournament in France, where he played against Belgium.
Fit again trio Joe Aribo, Daniel Akpeyi and Oghenekaro Etebo have been handed recalls after missing the friendly matches that took place in Austria this month.
Victor Osimhen has also returned to the squad after he was barred from reporting for international duty in October because the Napoli players were ordered into quarantine.
Everton's Alex Iwobi, Leicester City's Kelechi Iheanacho, West Brom's Semi Ajayi and Fulham's Ola Aina have been selected as well as Watford's William Troost-Ekong and Glasgow Rangers' Leon Balogun.
Francis Uzoho, Samson Tijani, Ramon Azeez, Abdullahi Shehu, Kelechi Nwakali, Paul Onuachu and Ikechukwu Ezenwa have been placed on standby in the event of injuries to players named in the original list.
Nigeria Squad Vs Sierra Leone
Goalkeepers : Daniel Akpeyi, Maduka Okoye, Sebastian Osigwe
Defenders : William Troost-Ekong, Kenneth Omeruo, Leon Balogun, Semi Ajayi, Chidozie Awaziem, Zaidu Sanusi, Ola Aina, Jamilu Collins, Kevin Akpoguma
Midfielders : Joe Aribo, Oghenekaro Etebo, Tyronne Ebuehi, Frank Onyeka
Strikers : Ahmed Musa, Moses Simon, Emmanuel Dennis, Alex Iwobi, Victor Osimhen, Kelechi Iheanacho, Samuel Chukwueze, Chidera Ejuke
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Super Eagles Defender Omeruo Still On The Mend, Omitted From Leganes Matchday Squad
- Snapped : Teenage Nigeria-Eligible Striker Involved In Arsenal Final Workout Pre-Wolves
- Man City's Sodje Takes Season's Tally To Eight League Goals With Brace Vs Sunderland U18s
- Tottenham-Owned Goalkeeper Of Nigerian Descent Gets His First Minutes In Men's Football
- 'Leeds Created Loads Of Chances From It' -Ex-Bournemouth Coach Admits Iwobi Was Targeted
- Osimhen At Risk Of Missing Clash Vs Roma As Napoli Issue Fresh Update
- Barcelona Academy Product Bobby Adekanye Finally Debuts In La Liga
- Super Eagles Hopeful Ejaria Scores, Olise Assists As Reading Return To Winning Ways
- Hoogewerf Scores First Hat-trick For Manchester United Youth Team
- Orlando City's Young Sensation Eligible For Nigeria, USA Targeting National Team Call-Up
- African Players Transfers
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football