Balogun celebrates his first goal in Rangers colours but goes off injured in win vs BrondbyPublished: October 21, 2021
Glasgow Rangers claimed their first three points in Group A of the UEFA Europa League after beating Danish opponents Brondby 2-0 at the Ibrox Stadium on Thursday night.
Manager Steven Gerrard handed starts to Super Eagles duo Leon Balogun and Joe Aribo, with the center-back part of a back five and the number 17 named in a three-man midfield.
Balogun gave Rangers an ideal start when he opened the scoring with a powerful header that beat goalkeeper Mikkelsen in the 18th minute - his first goal for the Scottish champions on his 40th appearance in all competitions.
From a set play worked to perfection, the Nigeria international wasn't picked up and he rose to head home a fine delivery from Tavernier.
On the half hour mark, Rangers added to their lead through Kemar Roofe who had probably given up thinking he was in an offside position but the goal stood as VAR showed he was onside.
Shortly after the start of the second half, Mikael Uhre missed a glorious chance to reduce the arrears, putting his shot wide with only the goalkeeper to beat.
Balogun went down injured around the 64th mark and recent Super Eagles invitee Calvin Bassey came on to replace him.
It could have been a more convincing and comfortable win for the Light Blues but they hit the woodwork twice, while a penalty claim after Aribo was fouled in the box was waived away after a VAR check.
Photo Credit : uefa.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
Football News 24/7
- Watford boss reacts to Troost-Ekong's early Christmas present to Maddison and Leicester
- 'Chilwell highly missed' - Chelsea's Nigerian fans react to disappointing draw vs Man Utd
- Aribo reveals exactly what Rangers boss told the midfielders to do in win vs Livingston
- Dennis equals EPL record held by ex-Leeds, Spurs, Chelsea & Arsenal stars; Man United ace
- Super Eagles no. 10 on target in GvB's first league match in charge of Glasgow Rangers
- AFCON 2021 : Another concern for Super Eagles as first choice GK goes off injured vs Ajax
- Samson Tijani on his relationship with Salzburg starlets of Nigerian descent Okafor, Okoh, Adeyemi
- Middlesbrough, Swansea, Bournemouth gunning for Arsenal's Anglo-American-Nigerian whizkid
- 'Back to his best' - Chukwueze praised after scoring against Barcelona
- 'They had a great result vs Man Utd' - Ndidi anticipates tough match against Watford
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football