UCL : Chukwueze impressive for Villarreal in draw versus JuventusPublished: February 22, 2022
Samuel Chukwueze was in action for 90 minutes on Tuesday night for Villarreal in their round of 16 first leg fixture against Juventus at the Estadio de La Ceramica.
The match ended 1-1 with Dusan Vlahovic and Daniel Parejo scoring for Juventus and Villarreal respectively.
Unai Emery made seven changes from the side that beat Granada last time the Yellow Submarines played in the La Liga, with only Pau Torres, Parejo, Arnaut Danjuma and Giovani Lo Celso retaining their places.
Juventus went ahead just 32 seconds into the game as Arsenal target in the January transfer window Vlahovic scored on his Champions League debut for the Old Lady.
Villarreal gave the ball away after an initial build up from the back but that attacking move failed to work out as planned which allowed Vlahovic to receive the ball from a teammate and fire into the far corner with his weaker right foot.
Chukwueze created a goal scoring chance in the 16th minute when he spilled away from De Sciglio down the right before fizzing it into the middle for Danjuma.
The Dutch forward of Nigerian descent improvised with a delightful backheel towards the near post, but Szczesny got a strong hand to it.
Tottenham Hotspur loanee Lo Celso went close to equalizing but his close range effort saw the ball come off the cross bar.
Villarreal enjoyed good spell of possession towards the end of the first half with Chukwueze and Lo Celso linking up well. The wingers eventual cross was blocked by USA international Weston McKennie.
A sustained pressure from Villarreal in the second half eventually paid off with a goal when Daniel Parejo side footed home the ball as étienne Capoue delivered a cross into the Juve box with 66 minutes played.
Chukwueze was fouled in the 72nd minute by Adrien Rabiot as the Frenchman's high boot caught the winger's left knee.
The Diamond Academy of Umuahia Academy product was however lucky not to have suffered any damage from that challenge.
Chukwueze was replaced in the closing minutes by Yeremi Pino.
Photo Credit : villarrealcf.com
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Tottenham Hotspur offer new deal to Golden Eaglets-eligible midfielder
- Flying Eagles coach names three foreign-based stars in 30-man provisional AFCON squad
- 'Two goals of exceptionally quality' - Reims coach hails 'incredible' on-loan Gunner Balogun
- Arteta promotes U15 player to Arsenal first team training, promising GK eligible for Nigeria
- Pundit omits Madueke as he names the new players likely to be included in Chelsea's UCL squad
- 'That was going in' - McFadden reacts to Forest striker Dennis nearly scoring v Man Utd
- Arsenal loanee Balogun steals the show with first career hat-trick against Lorient
- Zambia enough test for Flying Eagles ahead U20 AFCON - Former West Brom defender
- Danish club to pocket N0.8b from Genk's sale of Onuachu to Southampton
- 'I don't want to write him off yet' - Rangers & Ajax legend De Boer urges patience with Bassey
Football News 24/7
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football