The roles that football players are expected to carry out on the pitch have transformed greatly since modern ideas and managers streamed into the round leather game.
Gradually, the traditional one styled players are being phased out of the game. Nigerian-born Bright Osayi-Samuel is a good example of a modern player.
The versatile fullback moved to Turkish side Fenerbahce from Queens Park Rangers in January 2021 and made 43 appearances during the recently concluded season scoring 2 goals and providing 5 assists.
There has been reported interest in the Nigerian right-back from West Ham who view him as a perfect player to raise the general quality and squad depth of the team.
It is not known if the transfer would materialize but this article will be looking at two values Osayi-Samuel would add to West Ham if the move eventually gets completed.
Osayi-Samuel is a highly versatile player who can carry out multiple roles on the pitch without a significant drop in quality.
The Nigerian who is primarily a winger can also play as a flat right-back in a back four.
He is also quite capable of playing as a wing-back if David Moyes decides to go for a three centre-back formation.
In short, Osayi-Samuel offers more tactical set-up options which will undoubtedly make West Ham more unpredictable.
Secondly, while Osayi-Samuel is not primarily a right-back, he offers more attacking drive than many other full-time right-backs including West Ham's very own Vladimir Coufal.
The Czech Republic international's contract expires in 2023, and while the club has the option of extending it by a further two years, Osayi-Samuel has the potential to be an upgrade in the position.
The Nigerian is outstanding going forward and is a very effective outlet on the flanks which the club can use to build attacks or relieve pressure.
His athleticism is also a bonus in such a frantic paced environment as the English Premier League.
Photo Credit : fenerbahce.org
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Opinion : Chelsea should target Nigeria midfielder as a cheaper alternative to Declan Rice
- Nigeria U17 player ratings : Abduallhi clinical, Ogwor outstanding, Mbata combative, Michael gem
- Bayer Leverkusen set to sign Manchester City winger of Nigerian descent on permanent deal
- Five takeaways from Nigeria's win against Burkina Faso In U17 WAFU Zone B final
- U17 WAFU B Nigeria 2 Burkina Faso 1 : Abubakar Abdullahi brace hands Golden Eaglets title
- Exclusive : Nigeria U23 international in the plans of Watford new boss for 2022-23 season
- Commercial rights of Man Utd's Nigeria-eligible midfielder now managed by Polaris Sports
- Nigeria squad announcement AWCON : Barcelona, Leicester, Sevilla stars named to 25-player roster
- Three La Liga clubs interested in Arsenal's Anglo-Spanish-Nigerian midfielder
- 'Done and sealed' - Transfer market guru says Super Eagles star has joined Nottingham Forest
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football