New Super Eagles coach Jose Peseiro is currently preparing to lead his team out for the first time in friendly matches against Mexico and Ecuador.
Peseiro who has a degree in physical education from the Lisbon University started coaching in the lower leagues before taking charge of Nacional, steering them into the Portuguese top flight in 2002.
He was also Carlos Queiroz's assistant at Real Madrid in 2003/2004 before returning to Portugal after just a season to coach Sporting CP.
Peseiro's teams are generally known for playing an attractive and possession-based brand of football.
This was the case during his coaching spells at Sporting and Braga but this article will be discussing why the Super Eagles manager should follow Chelsea and Tottenham's blueprint and move the team to a 3 centre-back formation in the future.
While this formation is generally viewed as a defensive set-up due to the inclusion of an additional centre-back, the 5 man defence is far from being just a defensive set-up. T
here are different variations of this setup like the 5-3-2, 5-4-1 and 5-2-3, however only the 5-4-1 can be classified as being too defensive.
Top tier managers like Thomas Tuchel and Antonio Conte have perfected the use of the 3 centre-back formation.
Chelsea are possession demons while Tottenham are the specialists in quick devastating counter-attacks.
One advantage Peseiro would have with this formation is that Nigeria currently has an amazing pool of talents who are suited to playing as wingbacks. The likes of Ola Aina, Calvin Bassey, and Zaidu Sanusi possess the traits of modern wingbacks.
Pace, agility, technical security, and creativity are in abundance among these players. Their full attacking abilities would be exploited to greater effect as wingbacks whilst providing additional defensive security.
International football is usually not about which team has the most beautiful playing style, it's more about which playing style is the most effective.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Nigerian wingers Simon and Amoo react after receiving CAF Awards 2022 nominations
- 'We're very close' - Reading chief confident Nigeria-eligible winger would sign new deal
- Official : 2021-2022 Turkish 1.Lig second-highest scorer Eze joins Eyupspor
- Opinion : What Sadiq needs to do to fit into Emery's intense game style if Villarreal move happens
- Ex-Super Eagles star Sodje hails Golden Eaglets for WAFU B triumph, calls for youth development
- Simon, Liverpool, Chelsea & Arsenal stars, 25 others fight it out for CAF Player of the Year
- Amoo battles Manchester United starlet, 8 others for CAF Young Player of the Year
- OGC Nice or Leeds United : Examining which club would be best fit for Super Eagles star
- Veterans Invitational Tournament : N0.65m up for grabs as All Stars Abuja tackle USF in opener
- Spartak reveal when to expect news about Moses as ex-Chelsea star misses open training session
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football