Africa women champions Nigeria were defeated 2-1 by South Africa in the first Group C game of the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco on Monday evening.
There was nothing to separate the teams in the first half as it ended scoreless.
South Africa had a better statistics, finishing the the first 45 minutes with 59.6% of the ball possessions.
The Super Falcons however created the best chance of the half in the 12th minute when Asisat Oshoala ran into a good position to receive a pass by Michelle Alozie but a South African defender cleared away the ball.
Super Falcons captain Onome Ebi a couple of times had to save Tochukwu Oluehi in goal from trouble after the keeper misjudged the ball when Thembi Kgatlana threatened to score.
Oshoala had her best chance of the game four minutes into the second half with a left footed strike that South African keeper Andile Dlamini gathered with a smart catch.
The Nigerians could have put the Bayana Bayana under pressure through Ifeoma Olumonu in the 55th minute but her header was weak to have caused any troubles.
Two quick goals by in the 61st minute and 63rd minute by the duo of Jermaine Seoposenwe and Hildah Magaia saw South Africa go ahead.
Atletico Madrid dazzler Rasheedat Ajibade however pulled one back for Nigeria in added time but it was too little, too late for the Nigerians.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- 'I'll be able to develop further with Conte' - Italian-Nigerian LB says ahead of move to Spurs
- How to bet on handicaps in football
- West Ham United's Irish-Nigerian striker linked with loan move
- Official : Esperance loan out Super Eagles striker to Ligue Professionnelle 1 champions
- Opinion: Why Chelsea's game against Tottenham is a call for Nigeria's most valuable player
- Super Eagles-eligible midfielder plays his first competitive game since arrival at Chelsea
- Eze instrumental, Olise makes comeback as Liverpool held to draw by Crystal Palace
- Osimhen scores and assists as rampaging Napoli destroy Verona in Serie A opener
- EPL 30th anniversary : Allardyce recalls nostalgic moments with magical ex-Nigeria captain
- Ex-African Footballer of the Year labels Gabriel Jesus a 'massive asset' for Arsenal
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- My Betting Sites Nigeria
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football