Portugal coach refuses to confirm which of his starters v Nigeria will make way for RonaldoPublished: November 23, 2022
Portugal coach Fernando Santos is keeping his cards close to his chest regarding his team selection for Thursday's World Cup H opener against Ghana at Stadium 974, Doha.
It is all but confirmed that Real Madrid and Manchester United legend Cristiano Ronaldo will return to the starting lineup against the Black Stars after missing last week's friendly against Nigeria due to a stomach bug.
João Félix, Bernardo Silva, André Silva and Bruno Fernandes occupied the attacking positions in Portugal's 4-0 rout of the Super Eagles and it is envisaged that one of them will make way for Ronaldo.
Ronaldo's second spell as a Manchester United player came to an end on Tuesday, with the striker leaving the Red Devils by mutual agreement after he attacked the club in an interview with Piers Morgan.
Asked at the pre-match press conference who Ronaldo will replace in the starting lineup after his side's impressive performance against Nigeria, Santos was quoted as saying by A Bola : "We had a very good performance in terms of joy, dynamism and organization, it was a very good 35 minutes, but then there were phases in which we disconnected and made mistakes.
"I know that if there were no mistakes in football it would always be 0-0, but there are unnecessary mistakes.
"If we don't commit them, we are closer to going through the other part of the postal code. The other question [who leaves to enter Ronaldo] tomorrow I answer."
South Korea and Uruguay are the other teams Ghana will face in Group H of the 2022 World Cup.
Photo Credit : fpf.pt
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- What has gone wrong for Samuel Chukwueze at Italian giants AC Milan?
- Moffi's fastest goal of the season not enough as OGC Nice succumb to defeat against Toulouse
- Official: 2019 Fifa U17 World Cup star Amoo terminates his contract with Omonia Nicosia
- Former Chelsea defender reckons Tottenham star Udogie is Premier League's best left-back
- 'Slightly ahead' - 2006 World Cup winner rates Osimhen higher than Vlahovic in defensive phase
- 'It's almost unstoppabe' - 1994 AFCON winner Ekoku hails Eze for fantastic free-kick goal against Tottenham
- 'Wasn't meant to be sub'- Wolves coach explains why 15yo son of ex-Super Eagles star was named in squad
- Who is Tyrique George? The dual national winger who could be Chelsea's next breakout sensation
- Super Eagles star Aribo labelled 'brilliant player' by Southampton boss after injury-time winner
- Made in Africa goal: Wissa highlights Onyeka's role in acrobatic finish against Chelsea
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football