Osimhen scores again but Napoli are beaten by Chukwueze's Villarreal in friendlyPublished: December 17, 2022
Victor Osimhen was on target for Napoli but could not prevent the Serie A table toppers from losing 3-2 to Villarreal in a mid-season friendly held at the Diego Maradona Stadium on Saturday night.
The Napoli number 9 was in action for 62 minutes and his international teammate and close friend Samuel Chukwueze hopped off the bench for the Yellow Submarine with seventeen minutes left on the clock.
Napoli manager Luciano Spalletti set up his team in a 4-2-3-1 formation with Osimhen deployed as the center forward.
Étienne Capoue broke the deadlock inside twelve minutes with a left-footed shot from outside the box but the lead lasted two minutes as Osimhen's finish drew the home team level.
The Super Eagles striker also found the back of the net in Napoli's last friendly before Villarreal came to town, a 3-1 win over Premier League opponents Crystal Palace last weekend in Turkey.
Jackson restored Villarreal's one-goal lead midway through the second half and Gerard made it 3-1 at minute 69, before Kvaratskhelia pulled one back from the penalty spot in the 78th minute.
Napoli's last friendly before the Serie A restart is against Osimhen's former club Lille next Wednesday, while Chukwueze and his teammates return to competitive action on Tuesday, December 20 when they face Guijuelo in the second Round of the Copa del Rey.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Super Falcons ratings: Kanu, Okoronkwo grab headlines; Nnadozie can't be judged; Okwuchukwu one to watch
- Official: MLS club St. Louis City SC exercise 2024 contract option on Nigerian forward
- WAFCONQ: Five takeaways from Super Falcons convincing 5-0 win against Cape Verde
- WAFCONQ Nigeria 5 Cape Verde 0: Kanu and Okoronkwo at the double in Super Falcons convincing win
- Nigeria-eligible winger who trained with Chelsea first team this month nominated for Goal of the Month again
- 'It's a bit annoying' - Fulham CB Bassey reflects on being booked for time-wasting against Arsenal
- 'He comes from the Belgian league' - Bayer chief defends Boniface over his dip in form in Bundesliga
- Super Eagles drop two spots in latest Fifa rankings after draws against Lesotho and Zimbabwe
- 'Shows I'm doing the right things' - Nathan Tella admits selection for Super Eagles has given him confidence
- Napoli coach Walter Mazzarri reveals exactly why Osimhen did not start 4-2 defeat to Real Madrid
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football