Nigeria 4 Zambia 2 : Sarki, Olamilekan, Uchegbu, Lawal on target for Flying Eagles in 6-goal thrillerPublished: February 03, 2023
Nigeria's U-20 national team, the Flying Eagles, on Friday intensified their preparations for the CAF U-20 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt with a 4-2 win over Zambia in a tune-up friendly at the Moshood Abiola Stadium, Abuja, reports All Nigeria Soccer.
The Flying Eagles who will face Egypt, Senegal and Mozambique at the tournament between February 19 and March 11, scored first through Haliru Sarki six minutes before halftime.
The Flying Eagles had missed an earlier opportunity to go one goal up in the game.
The resilient Zambian side however restored parity in the 55th minute through Derrick Bulaya but the hosts doubled their goals through Adams Olamilekan twelve minutes after the Zambian goal.
Zambia showed great composure and were not going to budge. They duly made it 2-2 when substitute Lasmond Phiri headed past Nathaniel Nwosu in Nigerian goal but Emmanuel Uchegbu got a third goal for Ladan Bosso's side in the 82nd minute while the fourth strike came from Samson Lawal in the first minute of added time.
The Flying Eagles did have chances to get more goals but for the excellent goalkeeping heroics of Jeban Tembo.
While Nigeria, seven-time champions of the tournament, previously known as the African Youth Championship will continue their preparations with a planned pre tournament tour of Morocco, Zambia's junior Chipolopolo are expected to play Senegal in another friendly before hostilities begin in Egypt in just under three weeks.
Coach Bosso is expected to name a strong side for the CAF U-20 tournament.
The four semifinalists in Egypt will represent Africa at the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Indonesia later in May.
Photo Credit : Zambia FA
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Transfer guru reveals why Man Utd are pushing to sign Osimhen, price tag could increase
- 'Hopefully I can convince him' - England U21 boss to hold talks with Arsenal loanee Balogun
- Super Eagles invitee Aniagboso reveals Chelsea are one of his dream clubs; hails Omeruo, Uzoho
- Huddersfield LB still eligible for Nigeria after being unused sub for Equatorial Guinea in AFCONQ
- U23 AFCONQ fallout: NFF responsible for the failure of Olympic Eagles
- Osimhen's potential replacement : Royale Union Saint-Gilloise's Boniface should reject Napoli
- 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super Eagles ability
- 'Kane's not going on forever' - Arsenal legend Wright backs Balogun for England call-up
- Hungry Fenerbahce fullback Osayi-Samuel is Super Eagles' new shining light
- Former Chelsea defender reacts after becoming 16th most capped Super Eagles player
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football