A Bridge too far : Osimhen fails to equal David Trezeguet's record as Napoli lose to LazioPublished: March 04, 2023
Victor Osimhen failed to equal an Italian Serie A record held by former Juventus striker David Trezeguet after firing blanks in Napoli's shock 1-0 loss to Lazio at the Diego Maradona Stadium on Friday night.
Had the Super Eagles player scored a non-penalty goal against the Biancocelesti, he would have become only the second player to score in nine consecutive matches in the three points for a win era in the Serie A without taking a penalty.
The only goal of the encounter was scored by former Inter Milan midfielder Matías Vecino, who produced a moment of magic in the 67th minute - firing home from long range.
Osimhen, who had scored in every game since the 8th of January, could not prevent his team from suffering their second loss of the season.
He, however, came so close to scoring eleven minutes from time when his header came off the woodwork.
The Nigerian striker had an average game by his standards. He couldn't muster a shot on target and was only limited to 21 touches of the ball.
Napoli and Osimhen's places are safe as table toppers and top scorer respectively despite the loss.
The Blues have 65 points after 25 games, seventeen more than their nearest challengers, Lazio.
Osimhen, on the other hand, has 19 goals which is six more than Inter Milan's 2022 World Cup winner with Argentina, Lautaro Martínez.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- U23 AFCONQ Nigeria 0 Guinea 0 : Olympic Eagles walk tightrope after stalemate in Abuja
- After equaling Yakubu's record, Akpom could set new Middlesbrough record on Good Friday
- Dual national Gent goal machine Orban commits future to Nigeria over Togo
- Everton face a relegation battle again: Where has it gone wrong?
- Super Eagles camp update : All present and correct as Porto LB reports for international duty
- Arsenal's Super Eagles-eligible striker Balogun pulls out of England U21 squad
- How to find low deposit casinos for Nigerian players
- Eagles tactical session : Emphasis on crosses; Peserio experiments with Omeruo, Ajayi; Uzoho gets nod
- More drama Tuesday's training session as Super Eagles' CSO 'fights' with Nigerian journalists
- Parimatch : So much more than soccer
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football