Ajax Amsterdam coach explains why Bassey started against NEC NijmegenPublished: March 05, 2023
Ajax Amsterdam coach John Heitinga has explained why Calvin Bassey was named in the starting lineup in the Eredivisie clash against NEC Nijmegen at the Johan Cruijff ArenA on Sunday.
The Nigeria international was one of the first names on the teamsheet in the first half of the season but lost his spot in the starting XI after the dismissal of Alfred Schreuder and the appointment of Heitinga.
Bassey was not named in the starting lineup in five league matches on the bounce before the visit of NEC Nijmegen.
Heitinga preferred Bassey to Kenneth Taylor against NEC, and another tactical decision saw Edson Álvarez moved back to midfield.
The former Rangers star was scapegoated for Ajax's poor run of results which led to the dismissal of Alfred Schreuder, but now fans and pundits are beginning to take notice of his defensive qualities.
"For today we choose this eleven. We look at a bit of balance, it's a tactical choice," Heitinga said on ESPN, via Footballtransfers just before the start of the game versus NEC.
"You look at the balance in your group, you certainly have that with the triangle of Bassey, Jurriën Timber and Álvarez.
"We have an attacking team, with guys who take a lot of risks in their game. Then you have to make sure you're in a good position."
With Bassey on the pitch, Ajax have not conceded in their last seven consecutive matches in the Eredivisie and KNVB Cup.
Photo Credit : ajax.nl
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- U23 AFCONQ Nigeria 0 Guinea 0 : Olympic Eagles walk tightrope after stalemate in Abuja
- After equaling Yakubu's record, Akpom could set new Middlesbrough record on Good Friday
- Dual national Gent goal machine Orban commits future to Nigeria over Togo
- Everton face a relegation battle again: Where has it gone wrong?
- Super Eagles camp update : All present and correct as Porto LB reports for international duty
- Arsenal's Super Eagles-eligible striker Balogun pulls out of England U21 squad
- How to find low deposit casinos for Nigerian players
- Eagles tactical session : Emphasis on crosses; Peserio experiments with Omeruo, Ajayi; Uzoho gets nod
- More drama Tuesday's training session as Super Eagles' CSO 'fights' with Nigerian journalists
- Parimatch : So much more than soccer
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football