The boy is a bit special : Gent striker Orban continues formidable form with 3-minute hat-trickPublished: March 15, 2023
Gift Orban is proving he is no flash in the pan after scoring back-to-back hat-tricks for the first time in his career as KAA Gent thrashed İstanbul Başakşehir 4-1 to progress to the quarterfinals of the Europa Conference League on Wednesday evening.
Orban set tongues wagging after scoring four goals at the weekend as Gent hammered Zulte Waregem 6-2 in the Belgian Pro League and he took his fine form to the European stage.
The 20-year-old tucked in the opener in the 31st minute after a perfect ball from Hyeon-seok Hong.
If Gent's first goal was a team effort, the second was all about the individual brilliance of Orban, who advanced and unleashed a powerful shot into the top corner in the 32nd minute to double the visitors' advantage.
At minute 34, the Nigerian wonderkid completed his hat-trick, sweeping the ball into the net after poor marking by the İstanbul Başakşehir defenders.
Hugo Cuypers increased the lead in the 37th minute, while Adnan Januzaj netted a consolation for the Super Lig side with two minutes left on the clock.
Only Fiorentina's Luka Jović (6) has scored more goals than Gift Orban (5) in this season's Europa Conference League, but the Gent number 20 has played four games less than the Serbian.
Overall, Orban has mustered an incredible twelve goals in nine official appearances since his move to Gent, which reflects the fact that he is talented and there's something special about him.
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Victor Osimhen alternative: Bayer Leverkusen to demand at least N70b from Chelsea for Super Eagles striker
- Who is Gabrielle Onguene? The free-scoring Cameroon striker that can pose a threat to Super Falcons
- Paris 2024 Olympics qualifiers: Keep an eye on these three Super Falcons players against Cameroon
- Justin Njinmah: Werder Bremen's exciting forward to choose between Nigeria and Germany
- Battle for La Liga U23 POTM: Omorodion faces competition from Man Utd loanee, Barca and Real Madrid stars
- Age debate reignited: Flying Eagles coach Bosso justifies selection of academy boys over NPFL stars
- South Africa GK Williams opens up on what he told Omeruo, Aina, Ekong, Iheanacho before taking spot-kicks
- Porto team news: The likely player to replace Zaidu in starting lineup against Arsenal
- Onyeka credits AFCON for boosting his fitness; shares what Brentford boss told him pre-Man City
- 'Difficult to stop' - Barcelona coach Xavi highlights Osimhen as one of the key players to watch in CL showdown
- Football Betting
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football