Former Premier League stars hail Super Eagles striker's finish against Newcastle UnitedPublished: March 18, 2023
Super Eagles striker, Emmanuel Dennis scored a brilliant goal for Nottingham Forest against 5th placed Newcastle United in the only Premier League game on Friday night
Forest went ahead in the 26th minute through Dennis who was omitted from the Nigerian squad for the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Guinea-Bissau.
Newcastle did equalise and went on to win 2-1 with double strikes from Alexander Isak who restored parity with a great piece of improvisation and netted the winning goal from the spot in second half stoppage time
The duo of Jermain Defoe and Tim Sherwood who took the Premier League by storm in their playing days were on analysis duties for Premier League Productions and had pleasant remarks on the quality of the goal after a defensive mistake by Newcastle United centre back, Sven Botman.
"I like the goal. The finish was audacious as I said before, amazing finish, the individualnes," former Tottenham Hotspur striker Defoe who scored 163 goals in 496 Premier League matches said.
"It (ball) certainly went over the line. He chipped it over Kieran Trippier. It was a fantastic finish. Vintage," Defoe added.
Former Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood attributed the goal to the defensive lapses on Newcastle's side.
"It was a great finish. Poor defensive error (in reference to Sven Botman). But he took a gamble that he was going to pass back to the goalkeeper.
"Dennis does poach. It's a no-man's land. He dinked it (ball) over the top of the defenders on the line.
"It was a poor defensive work and Eddie will be disappointed at that point. They had dominated the game," Sherwood stressed.
Dennis was subbed off for Nottingham Forest towards the end of the game due to injury while his international teammate Taiwo Awoniyi wasn't involved due to a groin injury he's recovering from.
Photo Credit : nottinghamforest.co.uk
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from allnigeriasoccer.com
- Transfer guru reveals why Man Utd are pushing to sign Osimhen, price tag could increase
- 'Hopefully I can convince him' - England U21 boss to hold talks with Arsenal loanee Balogun
- Super Eagles invitee Aniagboso reveals Chelsea are one of his dream clubs; hails Omeruo, Uzoho
- Huddersfield LB still eligible for Nigeria after being unused sub for Equatorial Guinea in AFCONQ
- U23 AFCONQ fallout: NFF responsible for the failure of Olympic Eagles
- Osimhen's potential replacement : Royale Union Saint-Gilloise's Boniface should reject Napoli
- 'Just a pitch with grass' - Iwobi urges NFF to provide infrastructure to match Super Eagles ability
- 'Kane's not going on forever' - Arsenal legend Wright backs Balogun for England call-up
- Hungry Fenerbahce fullback Osayi-Samuel is Super Eagles' new shining light
- Former Chelsea defender reacts after becoming 16th most capped Super Eagles player
- African Players
- Australia/ Asia
- Belgian Championship
- Danish Football
- English Premier League
- Nigeria National Teams
- Nigeria Premier League
- Norwegian Football
- Nigeria Betting Sites
- Polish Football
- Russian Championship
- Serie A
- Spanish Liga
- Swedish Championship
- Turkish Championship
- Ukrainian Football
- Women's Football